Craft Pimp

• October 18, 2017, 10:17:40 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Clay & Ceramics March/April 2011  (Read 9484 times)

Kayleigh

• Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    • Cyndra Arts
Re: Clay & Ceramics March/April 2011
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2011, 08:48:46 AM »

Tan I love the cat! I'm such a cat person and he is just soooo cute :D

♥♥Tan♥♥

• Gay for Jammie, one step from leg dry hump!
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2011, 01:40:51 PM »

Thankyou girly girls!!

Terri, I have never had a problem with white earthenware but stoneware always seems to explode and I'm not sure why. I work it the same, in fact the second kiln full I made sure I really hammered it to get out all of the air bubbles and still something exploded and took out lots of other things.

Should add here, its not the bisque firing its the glaze firing.

I keep it hanging around for weeks until I am sure it is really dry, the last batch I decorated with oxides and full fired, a big flat cat exploded but a small flat cat survived so I just dont know.

A local potter said she thought I might be ramping up too quickly. I bisque fire in my digital kiln but have to full fire in my kiln sitter kiln because it reaches the higher temp.

Paps

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2011, 03:22:16 PM »

I love that cat!! So cute! ;D

Terri

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2011, 06:35:46 PM »

Thankyou girly girls!!

Terri, I have never had a problem with white earthenware but stoneware always seems to explode and I'm not sure why. I work it the same, in fact the second kiln full I made sure I really hammered it to get out all of the air bubbles and still something exploded and took out lots of other things.

Should add here, its not the bisque firing its the glaze firing.

I keep it hanging around for weeks until I am sure it is really dry, the last batch I decorated with oxides and full fired, a big flat cat exploded but a small flat cat survived so I just dont know.

A local potter said she thought I might be ramping up too quickly. I bisque fire in my digital kiln but have to full fire in my kiln sitter kiln because it reaches the higher temp.

I doubt that it's trapped air, as that would explode out in the bisq.  It's unusual to get exploding in the stoneware/glaze firing.  The ramp could be a problem due to moisture if you are glazing - due you have a manual/rotary controller on the kiln?  I would candle the firing - put it on the lowest setting overnight - a good 12 hours and this will drive all the moisture off then ramp up as normal.  The only other thing I can think of is contamination - especially plaster - is the clay staight from the bag or has it been reclaimed on plaster batts, or got near any plaster?  If there is plaster in the clay it will give off gas which causes explosions - if it is you will see a little grey or off white dot in the pit of the crater that exploded.  I will give it some more thought.

One other thought - what temp do you bisq fire at? and what schedule do you use?

Jo

« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2011, 07:56:59 AM »

wow Tan those are fab i love the Mousehole plaque xx

nia

« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2011, 03:48:17 PM »

Tan those are fantastic!  :D
Nia xx

Nikki

« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2011, 09:07:54 PM »

Never had the chance to try clay but you all make it look so tempting ;D, wonderful work everyone.

Clasibags

• Clasibags
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2011, 11:19:07 AM »

I love love love love love love love , did I mention i LOVE that cat  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Lalalampwork

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2011, 12:52:21 PM »

Wow Tan both peices are stunning already, fingers crossed they make it, reading the posts it sounds very complicated to fire them!!

halobeads

« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2011, 08:39:23 PM »

Love them Tan x
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]