Craft Pimp

• September 22, 2017, 03:47:01 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Re: Kiln Formed Glass Gallery April/May 2017  (Read 1553 times)

Dawn

• Administrator
Re: Kiln Formed Glass Gallery April/May 2017
« on: April 10, 2017, 06:34:52 PM »

I was e-mailed a few weeks ago by someone who had seen my stained glass seahorse, and wondered if he could commission me to make him one.

No, I said, sorry, I don't do stained glass anymore, I don't have the tools.  But I do do fused glass, here's some samples.

He liked what I showed him and asked me if I could therefore do him a fused glass seahorse in shades of blue; this is the result, including what I called "Picasso's Seahorse" which amused me when I was cleaning all the pieces before assembling and firing

And the original piece he must have seen

awrylemming

• So many crafts, too little time
    • Flaming 'Eck
Re: Kiln Formed Glass Gallery April 2017
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 09:50:30 PM »

Very cute - nice project, must have been fun revisiting an old idea  ;D  And enjoyable knowing it was so well liked (rightly so).

Cornish

• Magic happens
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 08:20:19 AM »

Beautiful  :D

Dawn

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 09:39:35 AM »

Very cute - nice project, must have been fun revisiting an old idea  ;D  And enjoyable knowing it was so well liked (rightly so).

It was indeed very enjoyable as I love seahorses anyway and have been promising myself I would make a panel or something seahorse-y soon, just never got round to it  ;D

jille

• I love my work
    • Kiln Fired Art shop
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 09:41:40 AM »

lovely Dawn

Lampworklover

• My Etsy Shop
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 10:05:57 AM »

That's gorgeous!

nuttybeader

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2017, 07:53:07 PM »

That is gorgeous.

Jolene

• Colour, it's like flavour for your eyeballs
  • Administrator
  • Jo x
    • Kitzbitz Art Glass
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 10:40:28 PM »

He's so sweet

spexy

• Earthshine Lampwork Bead and Jewellery Design
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 07:43:10 AM »

It's lovely Dawn, you did a great job x

Dawn

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 08:11:45 PM »

This isn't totally my work, but I had quite a close hand in it :D

For the last few months, I've been doing some workshops in Creswell, north of me in Derbyshire on behalf of two organisations, a Big Local, and First Arts.  It's been a project about getting people to be more creative, to reach those who don't normally access arts, culture and leisure services, etc.  They've been doing all sorts of activities, trips, theatre visits, so I've been a small part of that, running a series of classes learning a different glass technique each time.

I'd suggested at the start whether we could work towards a piece of community art, and it so happened that the Big Local were going to be getting themselves a new base office so that fit nicely.

Each class, I'd discuss with the ladies what might be included in the finished piece, was was based around the four Big Local themes of Environment, Leisure, Community Spirit and Environment.

Below is what we finally made.  I did the four background panels, which are kiln carved, and each member of the group did at least one of the small coloured panels each.  Some of the smaller sections are fairly general (summer theme, spring time, etc) some a bit more specific, such as the cave paintings in the nearby Creswell Crags, well dressings festival at Elmton Village and a  new signpost for the Hodthorpe Woodland Walk (it's actually, Elmton, Creswell and Hodthorpe Big Local).

I am really pleased with how it's all come together, and very proud of how these ladies, many of whom said "I am not creative" or "I don't have any ideas" have come and joined in, been willing to share their knowledge and experiences of their local area, as well as got stuck into making despite their lack of confidence.

We had a launch event for the next phase of the project, so we showcased the work in a temporary frame yesterday - here it is:

Pages: [1] 2 3