Author Topic: Our Forum FIMO? resource page  (Read 13030 times)

Jolene

• Colour, it's like flavour for your eyeballs
  • Administrator
  • Jo x
    • Kitzbitz Art Glass
Our Forum FIMO? resource page
« on: July 16, 2011, 08:57:54 PM »
Here is a pretty little summary page of all the hints tips and tricks we have collected together through our All about FIMO? Competitions sponsored by STAEDTLER (UK) Ltd.

-A-

spiritofamelia4 by CornishDragon, on Flickr
A is for Amelia EarhartThis is something I made for a Steampunk challenge last year, inspired by Art Deco and Amelia Earhart. Cornish

-B-

Fimo beads 1 by Peapod Beads, on Flickr
B is for Bead RollerThese are my first ever beads. I used up the scrap clay (brown) as it had some metallic gold mixed in it, so it was pretty even though it was 'waste' Made with the Fimo bead roller. Catherine xx

Pastels Spotty Bracelet by DizzyKitten, on Flickr
B is for Bumpies

Navy blue buttons by polynana, on Flickr
B is for ButtonsThe thinnest I'd ever go for buttons is setting 2 on an Atlas, which is probably just under 2mm (I think...I should really make those size test tiles I've been meaning to do!), but that's for buttons witha diameter of 15mm - there's probably a mathmatical/physics explanation, but for things like that, the smaller the diameter, the thinner you can go (although it isn't a hard and fast rule, so a 0.0005mm piece probably won't stand up to any wear! Perfect Button Holes Tutorial by hazer
-C-

Scarab-disc-set-2 by kitzbitz art glass by Jolene, on Flickr
C is for CanesI learned a lot from making these tattoo canes ? firstly that the best size for me to build a cane is no more than an inch high and about the size of a credit card. Any more than that and there is too much clay for me to be able to comfortably reduce it in an evening. I was pleasantly surprised at how well FIMO classic had held the detail, no blurring, (even when reduced down to about 1cm square) as I have never made canes with this sort of detail in them before. Jolene

Bezel Beads by Continuum Designs, on Flickr
C is for ClingfilmHere's a oldie but a goodie from the clay world - when you're using a cookie cutter with a sheet of clay (for pendants etc.), put clingfilm over the clay first in order to achieve a nicely bevelled edge. hazer
-D-
-E-

big pink beads by polynana, on Flickr
E is for ExtruderMy favourite extruder method - To save on weight I made a foil bead for the middle then wrapped that in orange clay before winding the extruded pink around, that way I got a really big bead which is not too heavy.
Tip... If making larger beads like these, to save on wieght, use a foil centre bead but make sure you use the same size piece of foil for each bead, scrunch and roll it as tight as it will go then wrap it in a strip of clay cut from flat piece which has been rolled on the same setting for each bead. That way all the beads in the set will be the same size.polynana
-F-

Girls Cutlery Set by DizzyKitten, on Flickr
F is for Functional

purple orange flower cane by polynana, on Flickr
F is for Flowers
redflowercab by polynana, on Flickr

bl by Continuum Designs, on Flickr

004 by Continuum Designs, on Flickr
-G-

Fimo leaf by Peapod Beads, on Flickr
G is for GlitterI brushed holographic glitter onto the surface, gently burnishing it with baking parchment in one direction to align the particles, baked then sealed. BLINGGGGGG! Catherine xx

r36a by polynana, on Flickr
G is for Gorgeous GreenThese are such a pretty green, using Fimo silver and sunshine yellow in equal parts.  polynana
hippy beads by polynana, on Flickr
-H-
-I-
-J-
-K-
-L-
-M-
-N-
-O-
-P-
P is for PatienceNot really a tip or trick, but just a bit of advice really: Take your time with your work! I am one who will hurry to make as much as possible in the shortest amount of time and because of this I do end up making some rubbish. This however took me probably about 5 hours, and I enjoyed every minute of it! And it turned out better than I could've hoped. A little bit of patience goes a long way! DizzyKitten
-Q-
-R-
-S-
S is for Swirls
lovely lentils by polynana, on Flickr

Purple and Grey Swirly Ruffle Bracelet by DizzyKitten, on Flickr
S is for Sculpture
Twit Twooo by Poppet by jowalker2368, on Flickr

yulepixie by CornishDragon, on Flickr

kernow-charms2 by CornishDragon, on Flickr

Vintage Brick Letter S by Leo Reynolds, on Flickr
S is for StickyI have a cupboard full of fimo that I have never really used (I had a go once but got frustrated because the clay was too "sticky" I've now learnt that clay can be refrigerated after conditioning to stiffen it up a bit again!) Silvergems89
-T-

texture plates by polynana, on Flickr
T is for texture plate and stampsLittle tip if using wooden block stamps, as a release agent don't use water as it will swell the wood and could make splinters, instead use cornflour or talc. polynana
-U-
-V-
-W-

lipstick-rose-disk-beads-3 by kitzbitz art glass by Jolene, on Flickr
W is for want not waste not    Not all trimmings turn to yucky grey mud and so it is worth blending a sample of your cane trimmings to make sure you are not missing something pretty. I trimmed my canes several times to tidy up the ends as I was reducing and blended the colours well to make these lovely lipsticky burgundy shades. I trimmed at several stages during the reduction process and created analogous shades and used them to make a skinner blend for my rose cane and also to make a patterned cane for the base with jelly rolls. Jolene
W is for WhiteMy tip would be...don't use white fimo!! haha..well,not exactly.. just, clean your hands (and surface)when switching colours. I'm really bad for not doing this and sadly the white never stays white! DysfunctionDesigns
-X-
-Y-
-Z-

I'll be adding to this brilliant resource over time and on a monthly basis at the start of the month from now on - if you would like to see your work and tips and trickes here you can find out current competition thread here http://www.craftpimp.co.uk/index.php/topic,729.0.html

And our past competition threads here
http://www.craftpimp.co.uk/index.php/board,60.0.html

Jo x

Hazer

Re: Our Forum FIMO? resource page
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 03:35:21 PM »
Wowzers, Jolene, you've been working hard. This resource looks fantastic! :D Thank you for putting it together :-*

DysfunctionDesigns

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 03:44:28 PM »
It's looking awesome :)

polynana

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 05:03:33 PM »
This is fabulous Jo, it's great looking back on things, and useful to have all the tips and pictures in one place too

Jolene

• Colour, it's like flavour for your eyeballs
  • Administrator
  • Jo x
    • Kitzbitz Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 07:01:57 PM »
There is a lot more to do, this one is onl April and a wee bit 'o' May ;D

Keep the entries coming in the comp thread folks xx

Quartz

• Smitten Kitten