Author Topic: Cross stitch woes  (Read 707 times)

awrylemming

• So many crafts, too little time
    • Flaming 'Eck
Cross stitch woes
« on: February 08, 2016, 10:17:08 PM »
I have been doing a lot of cross stitch lately, and have recently started a large project which I will turn into a cushion for my mums birthday.  Even though I always remove the hoop when I'm finished each day, I've been left with a mark from it on the white aida fabric - anybody know how I can get rid of this prior to finishing the cushion?  I don't really want to wash it until I've put it all together  because of fraying, but don't want to make the cushion and find I can't get the marks out!

Blue Box Studio

• Sue Harris
    • Blue Box Studio
Re: Cross stitch woes
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 11:41:11 PM »
No idea about the mark, but if you use a bit of spare thread and overlap stitch the edges (like ///// ) it shouldn't fray?  Is it a polished ring,, have you tried a gentle vacuuming in case it is just wood dust?  I've never used a ring and I've made large samplers with Aida.  Would love to see it when you finish :)
Sue ~ Blue Box Studio ~ see website for outlets
Website ~ Blog ~ Etsy ~ Flickr

awrylemming

• Flaming 'Eck
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 10:01:05 AM »
I begged help from a friend of mine - I'm going to treat the edges with fray check and then iron the finished pattern over some interfacing to protect the stitching, wash the aida and then make it up (hopefully) - will definitely show it when it's done, I'm about halfway through as it's a large pattern.  I've bought new rings though, my smaller ones are cheap, although the one that has left the marks is a quilting ring, enormous (though untreated) and expensive.  I might varnish it?

Cornish

• Magic happens
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 01:24:25 PM »
Would pva be better on the edges as it would be a bit more flexible than fray stoppa. I used to use a frame rather than a hoop so can't help much but I wonder if wrapping the hoop in masking tape or scraps of fabric might be a temporary solution to varnishing.
Hope we get to see it when your done  :)

awrylemming

• Flaming 'Eck
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 04:18:49 PM »
Hmm, not sure  :-\  I think I'll try a little of both while still working on it and see which works best.  Ta hon.