Author Topic: Spam or good promotional idea?  (Read 801 times)

spexy

• Earthshine Lampwork Bead and Jewellery Design
Spam or good promotional idea?
« on: October 05, 2015, 10:58:29 AM »
I received this email this morning through Etsy.

Natalya Poznyak from NatsDoll sent you a conversation on 04 October, 2015.
Treasury
NO NEED TO REPLY!
This is automatic info from Etsy Treasury Box that someone featured your nice item in the Treasury!
It is FREE promotion for YOUR shop!

Informational gift for you.
Etsy has a program to encourage new customers and new shops.

You or your friend can get $5 off first item buying from Etsy.
etsy.me/1qq3wNK

You or your friend can listing 40 items free in the new shop (in case you want to open second shop).
etsy.me/13ZXyP2
To get this you need copy referral link, go away from your Etsy account, copy-paste link and then sign up NEW account with NEW for Etsy email.

Have a wonderful day!
Wishing you happy sales!
Natalia

Treasury: www.etsy.com/treasury/MjI4OTQwNTF8MjcyNTMxMjg1MQ/67

Listing: www.etsy.com/listing/246148644/turquoise-and-white-handmade-lampwork
Reply to Natalya
Do not reply to this email. To reply to this conversation, view the message here.

Having looked at the treasury I can see no pattern as to why my toggle clasp was added and the treasury has a number not even a name suggesting it's something she does often.

So would you view this as spam or a good idea for promoting your business?

nemeton

• Hi, I'm Lynn and I'm a beadaholic
    • Lynn Davy Beadwork
Re: Spam or good promotional idea?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 12:10:32 PM »
I'm afraid I'm a grumpy old sod and I really hate spammy treasury notifications - but I have to admit that these treasuries can bring you a huge number of views. I was in one the other week and my stats went through the roof. No sales as a result, mind you, but still I guess the exposure is a Good Thing in the long run. I don't know how these people clock up thousands of views on their Treasuries; my guess is they belong to one of the promotional teams that do this all the time, in which case a lot of those views are other team members just doing their 'quota' of clicks and hearts and probably never intending to purchase anything. And if people sign up for the freebies with those links I think the original poster gets free listings or something too, not sure how it works but it isn't entirely altruistic...

Cornish

• Magic happens
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 01:03:47 PM »
I'm the same as Lynn I hate those type of treasury notification, I like the ones that are nice an simple to the point I don't think there is really any need for any more.

Blue Box Studio

• Sue Harris
    • Blue Box Studio
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 06:09:41 PM »
Nope, don't like that.  I had one the other week offering to post me in x treasuries if I paid her $x (forget the amounts).  I didn't even think that was allowed?

What's Etsy Treasury Box?  I don't even tend to tell people they've been treasuried, haven't found an easy way to do it (but I am dimbo at this).
Sue ~ Blue Box Studio ~ see website for outlets
Website ~ Blog ~ Etsy ~ Flickr

Kayleigh

• Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    • Cyndra Arts
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 06:13:35 PM »
I got the same email from the same person I think. Numbered rather than titled treasury.

I didn't overly like the email to be honest. Too lengthy and I didn't read it all.

I have had had a bunch of favourites over the last few days though so maybe it's been a good thing.

spexy

• Earthshine Lampwork Bead and Jewellery Design
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 11:20:13 AM »
Yes, I agree with you, I thought it was spammy. To be honest I don't think I have ever had a sale from when I have been in a treasury and the only favourites that have come from it have been from other members in the group.