Author Topic: Kiln programme to check kiln shelf is completely dry  (Read 1191 times)

FionaS

• WINIBI
Kiln programme to check kiln shelf is completely dry
« on: September 27, 2015, 03:15:43 PM »
I've got a new kiln. Yay.  :D  It's a Firebox 14.  So I've put kiln wash on the floor of it and shelf and let it dry for 3 days (it's in a garage and the kiln floor still looked a bit damp yesterday so I'm being cautious). The manual says to fire it up to 500 to check it's completely dry before putting any glass in but I don't know what programme to do.  Is it as simple as programming to 500 over say 2 hours and then just programme end or should I hold it at that temperature for a while and then let it cool slowly over a certain amount of time? Dunno what to do and haven't found an answer on Google.  Can one of you clever peeps help me please.  :-*

Blue Box Studio

• Sue Harris
    • Blue Box Studio
Sue ~ Blue Box Studio ~ see website for outlets
Website ~ Blog ~ Etsy ~ Flickr

FionaS

• WINIBI
Re: Kiln programme to check kiln shelf is completely dry
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 07:28:13 PM »
Thanks for the info Sue.  The programme they recommend is a lot hotter than what the manual says (manual says fire to 500F and this programme goes up to 1520) and it then says to reprime the shelf after which my kiln manual doesn't.  Did you do this when you bought your new shelf recently?

Blue Box Studio

• Sue Harris
    • Blue Box Studio
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 11:39:42 PM »
I'll be honest, I'm using Papyros paper on top of a bare shelf.  It's been in the kiln twice a day sine I got it as I am busy getting orders sorted.  It'll get kiln washed when I get a minute but otherwise seems to be fine.  Unlike my original shelf, think this is some kind of composite stuff, not a clay shelf which the original seems to be. When I re-did the original one I just left it to dry on top of the kiln for a few days and then put it in with work on top, but I rarely don't use some kind of paper, my first efforts when the kiln wash came off on the glass put me off.
Sue ~ Blue Box Studio ~ see website for outlets
Website ~ Blog ~ Etsy ~ Flickr

FionaS

• WINIBI
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 12:14:24 AM »
Yeah I'm planning on using paper. Don't trust it straight on kiln wash at the mo'.

jille

• I love my work
    • Kiln Fired Art shop
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 08:43:03 AM »
I never pre fire kiln wash, it has never been a problem. I've never had to dry out anything except a new kiln and I think I wacked it up to 800 c

FionaS

• WINIBI
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 06:33:19 PM »
Thanks Jill.  I've put it on to dry the kiln out as it's new and then I'll just go for it and fuse something.