Author Topic: Kiln dust falling on work - Help!!  (Read 1582 times)

Blue Box Studio

• Sue Harris
    • Blue Box Studio
Kiln dust falling on work - Help!!
« on: June 09, 2015, 09:25:09 AM »
Just gone out to empty my Hotstart kiln, which has the elements in the lid, to find there are small fragments of kiln brick/dust over everything, it happened once before and I thought it was me not cleaning something properly, but these spots are bigger, it is definitely kiln.  Not sure I can get these out, and if I could, it's damaged the design, so suspect these are for the bin.

But - should I be regularly vacuuming the lid around the oil elements to remove any potential debris?  I've cleaned out the kiln a few times, always avoided anything to do with the working gubbins.
Sue ~ Blue Box Studio ~ see website for outlets
Website ~ Blog ~ Etsy ~ Flickr

Dawn

• Administrator
Re: Kiln dust falling on work - Help!!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 12:50:43 PM »
I used to fairly regularly hoover the kid of my Hotstart, Sue - gently so as not to knock any brick dust off but to make sure any loose bits of brick dust, or those that might come off easy.  If I didn't vacuum it, I'd usually run my hand gently over it to make sure there was nothing loose.

I never poked the hoover pipe into the element channels, but I did hoover over them - I did still always turn the kiln off at the plug when I did the hoovering.

Brick lid kilns can be a little bit prone to going brittle I think - that might be why the replacement lid as available to buy.  It's one of the reasons I never crash cooled mine, as I read eons ago that can make the lid more brittle.

To be honest, I've been getting the issue a bit with my Hobbyfuser, which is fibre lined lid - much to poor Lee's dismay and confusion as we have no idea why I am getting contaminated glass.

I've been able to save some pieces by sand-blasting and then fire polishing, or adding a layer of clear/frit powder and full fusing again, but I've got a few too many for the sin bin for my liking.

Blue Box Studio

• Sue Harris
    • Blue Box Studio
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 02:51:49 PM »
Thanks Dawn.  I can turn my vac right down to barely a breeze, so will carefully point in the direction of the lid.  I don't crash cool but did in the first days take the quickest of peeks when it finished but the top is slightly crazed now anyway so perhaps part of that?  Have struggled to find a kiln repairer around Bristol, no one comes quite as far as me so always leave treats for the kiln fairies to keep it running.

I have scraped out the few bits and refilled/re-fired, but it was powder printing so hard to disguise.  Hoping I have got away with it :)

Dawn

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 08:24:28 PM »
Can't Warm Glass help you with repairs if needed?

I don't think you have to be super gentle, I never was - was just careful not to bash it as the lid lining is quite thin.

To be honest, you can poke around with the elements, so long as the kiln is unplugged - occasionally they have to be re-pinned anyway, that style of element does.

I don't know that a couple of peeks would do any harm.  If you mean the outside, then no, I wouldn't think that crash cooling would cause that, as the outside is already exposed to the ambient room temperatures.  I assume potential to cause brittleness is because exposing the hot inner lid to the ambient air quickly?  I don't even know if it is true or not, it was just something I read in my early days.

jille

• I love my work
    • Kiln Fired Art shop
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 08:30:45 PM »
Yes vacuuming is good, with my kiln that drops rust I put a kiln shelf on stilts above my piece to protect it

Dawn

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 08:31:43 PM »
Yes vacuuming is good, with my kiln that drops rust I put a kiln shelf on stilts above my piece to protect it

That's a great idea, except the Hotstart, as are a lot glass kilns, is top firing element only.....

jille

• I love my work
    • Kiln Fired Art shop
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 09:05:04 PM »
Ahh, right, i use kilns with side elements.

Blue Box Studio

• Sue Harris
    • Blue Box Studio
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 11:04:23 PM »
Warm Glass have a list of repairers on their website.  When I thought the kiln was dead, soon as I bought it, I started on their list and only one would come to Clevedon and he lives in Newport Wales and would come when he was next this way!  The others are Plymouth and Dorchester (think it was Dorch) and would go to Bristol or WsM but not Clevedon which is midway between the two.  I managed to fix it on my own, dodgy connection, but was contemplating putting it back in the car and driving up to Kilncare who repair any kilns apparently. Someone must repair Warm Glass' kilns, but they ain't saying who - and they are about 6 miles from me, so presumably 5 miles too far for anyone to travel.