Author Topic: Risk Assessments  (Read 1427 times)

Terri

Risk Assessments
« on: March 21, 2015, 05:25:54 PM »
I am considering doing my first fair in a very long time (A couple of decades  :o) and risk assessment forms weren't required back in the day.

What on earth do you put on them?  Can any share their experiences and expertise?  I used to do risk assessments for the courses at the adult ed centre where I taught, but that was obvious stuff like ingesting materials, cuts and trip hazards etc. 

I'm not so sure this is going to be such a good idea.  I'm planning to sell pottery - mugs, platters, soap dishes, beads, perhaps some ceramic jewellery etc.  Just small bits and pieces.

Any thoughts will be gratefully received.

Blue Box Studio

• Sue Harris
    • Blue Box Studio
Re: Risk Assessments
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 06:13:31 PM »
Never been asked to do one for a fair, ever.  I would think the things you would need to consider would be trip hazard - can anyone trip over your table cover and how you will prevent; falling risk, can things fall on top of someone (I've had a trestle table topple because a daft old bat tried to sit on one corner, she was tired - nothing to what I was afterwards with a table of smashed ceramics); could a child get to the beads and poke them somewhere inappropriate (but darling Hermione, Mummy asked you not to put that pretty bead I gave you to look at, in your mouth, I've had it happen); risk of jewellery hurting someone with a sharp edge? 

I used to write them 10 years ago for youth projects and was always told to think of the worst thing that could happen, and would it.  I would think most things at a fair are going to be low risk (apart from Hermione, I didn't take to her).

I no longer take loose beads to fairs!
Sue ~ Blue Box Studio ~ see website for outlets
Website ~ Blog ~ Etsy ~ Flickr

jille

• I love my work
    • Kiln Fired Art shop
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 06:53:15 PM »
Yes, trip hazards, like cables and trailing cloths, pat tested electrical, display not too high it might topple over on someone, sharp implements out of reach, just basic common sense that you have thought about it

awrylemming

• So many crafts, too little time
    • Flaming 'Eck
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 07:56:32 PM »
Just imagine you're an absolute idiot or the most clumsy person in the universe - and then look at what they could potentially do to cock up.  And what you could do to prevent it.  And there you have your basic risk assessment.  ::) ;D

Blue Box Studio

• Sue Harris
    • Blue Box Studio
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 08:05:32 PM »
Just imagine you're an absolute idiot or the most clumsy person in the universe - and then look at what they could potentially do to cock up.  And what you could do to prevent it.  And there you have your basic risk assessment.  ::) ;D

I worked with loads of people like that, have you met them Sue?  I even married one ;)

awrylemming

• Flaming 'Eck
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 08:54:59 PM »
I gave birth to one ... possibly more  :P ;D

Izzybeads

• Smile and the world smiles with you :)
    • Izzybeads
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 09:00:59 PM »
...and that was the giggle of the evening thank yon Sue.....s......

awrylemming

• Flaming 'Eck
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 09:02:42 PM »
You are more than welcome - to adopt one of 'em!  :D

Blue Box Studio

• Sue Harris
    • Blue Box Studio
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 09:43:41 PM »
Mines up for offer, EBay keep pulling my 99p listing, too many complaints of over charging :'(

I love him really.

awrylemming

• Flaming 'Eck
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 10:33:26 PM »
Oh alright, I s'pose I love mine too  :P  Still, if somebody would like to take them off my hands for a week or so, I'd love them more  ;)