Author Topic: Clay and ceramics February / March  (Read 3442 times)

jille

• I love my work
    • Kiln Fired Art shop
Re: Clay and ceramics February / March
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 10:35:49 AM »
I have thought about slab building but it takes a lot of time, as does painting so the price would have to go up a lot then no one wud buy them, ths might be so for slip .
casting.
I would like to make my own mould, but when I tried it went wrong, nd I need someone to help.OH has just volunteered himself. Any tips would be appreciated Terri

Terri

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2015, 06:30:18 PM »
Not going to be easy to explain it in a message.  There must be some videos on  U tube.  There are some good books as well.

My tips are:

Always work in pairs
Have a big bin on standby for emergencies.
Never put plaster in the sink or drain.
Always clean the plaster bucket between uses.

Personally I would slab build these, perhaps using simple hump or slump moulds to form the slabs.  Even with the making time I think the unit price would be less than buying in bisque-ware. 

jille

• I love my work
    • Kiln Fired Art shop
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2015, 08:43:30 PM »
Thanks for the tips Terri, I must have another go.
I was thinking if I drape clay over the lens vase with it lying on it's side, the fire it I could use this as a slump mould and put 2 together and add a base. I just need to get practicing.
It's rubbish here as I don't even have a clay supplier near me and it's heavy for getting delivered

ChatElaine

• I'm on Fire with Wire
    • www.ChatElaineGlassArt.etsy.com
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2015, 11:25:33 PM »
They are so beautiful, I hope you can come up with a plan, the top one is such a lovely shape, does look good for slab building!! But I am definitely no expert!!

If delivering is the main problem that is very difficult to get around, I know all about that and I don't live out in the country either!!  >:(

I love the pink tits they are stunning!! (I am so rubbish at remembering which ones are which) Gor-jjjuuuus!!!!

Terri

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2015, 06:29:45 AM »
You can't fire the clay in the mould and then assemble it.  Moulds are usually made of plaster or you can use a 'former' such as plastic tubes, fence posts etc.  Formers need to be wrapped in paper to stop the clay sticking to it.

You roll the clay out to a slab, wrap it round the former, or deal in/on the plaster mould.  You than leave it to dry to the leather hard stage.  The clay is hard like stiff leather and keeps the shape.  You can join slabs at this point with clay slurry as the glue.   Then let it dry slowly to bone dry before you fire it. 

jille

• I love my work
    • Kiln Fired Art shop
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2015, 08:12:47 AM »
I didn't explain myself very well Teri, I meant make a clay mold first fom the vase or sevral so  can make boh sides at once, does that make sense?

Terri

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2015, 10:48:04 AM »
That would work as well.  I am currently looking for some crockery shapes that I like to make plaster moulds from.  I'll try to put a tutorial together when I get sorted.

FionaS

• WINIBI
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2015, 01:06:18 PM »
They're gorgeous Jill.  I hope you can find another supplier or make your own as they're lovely shapes.

jille

• I love my work
    • Kiln Fired Art shop
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2015, 11:43:16 AM »
New makes just came out the kiln this morning, as a bit of an experiment I'm going to try scenting the heart
P1190796 by kilnfiredart, on Flickr

P1190793 by kilnfiredart, on Flickr

Terri

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2015, 11:51:33 AM »
Very pretty.  ;)