Author Topic: card payments for fairs  (Read 1467 times)

jean

card payments for fairs
« on: February 11, 2015, 05:27:26 PM »
I know this comes up from time to time and im not sure if i have missed a thread on it? Anyways, at the big fair we do lasy year i think we would have been up between 30 to 60 quid if we did card payments. No one seems to carry cash anymore and everyone that says i shall come back or look online rarely do. Its the time of platic spending for sure. So the lad next to me at the fair had choclates and reckoned he made 60 per go when he has the card reader, his is paypal. I have an iphone 4 (siobhan upgraded so i got hers, love my i phone!) Not sure what settings i need to be able to do payments at fairs. Any help and advice greatly appreciated.   

Izzybeads

• Smile and the world smiles with you :)
    • Izzybeads
Re: card payments for fairs
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 06:16:23 PM »
I had one, it was worth having but only using it for the odd fair made it expensive to keep all year so husband took it over for his garage and I borrow it on fair days.  Most people who have card machines will take a payment for you, they might charge you for the fee which is usually around a couple of quid and they give you the cash, I have done that in the past.  If you do regular fairs then yes good idea or look into one of those ones that plugs into the phone, if you don't do fairs weekly or monthly then try and get someone to take the payment for you.

jean

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 06:21:01 PM »
We do 3 fairs usually but were thinking of doing more. I thought there was one with a one off buy the machine then just a commission charge so you dont pay a 'rental' or anyhting?

GaysieMay

• http://www.etsy.com/shop/gaysiemay
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 06:43:04 PM »
I bought one for fairs and only one of the fairs I did had internet coverage!

June

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 06:50:01 PM »
We do 3 fairs usually but were thinking of doing more. I thought there was one with a one off buy the machine then just a commission charge so you dont pay a 'rental' or anyhting?

Izettle, paypal and worldpay zinc are all like this Jean. May be best to check the price of getting the gadget as they differ and change frequently! You then need to download the appropriate app and sync it with the gadget and off you go. Worldpay zinc is about 2.75% commission per transaction, which is about the same. So just your upfront fee and then it is only commission for every transaction. It takes about 2-3 days for Worldpay zinc to get the money in your account and then you get a bill after to pay the commission.  :)

June

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 06:51:27 PM »
Not sure you need wireless to sync it, it works by bluetooth I think.

Dawn

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 07:35:40 PM »
Not sure you need wireless to sync it, it works by bluetooth I think.

Just looking at the Paypal one, and that connects to your phone via Bluetooth.  Jean, there's some how to videos for the PP one here, I am guessing they are all similar?

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/how-to-use-paypal-here#faqsFirstWave

It's something I keep considering, every now and then.  I haven't done any fairs for a couple of years now, just open studios and visitors by appointment - I've been lucky at open events that people have said they will go to the ATM and come back, and they have done, but I guess there are probably others who've said nothing, or those who look at their purse and set themselves a limit.

One of the events I am considering applying for this year does offer a service where people can go and pay the event people, then bring back a paid receipt - the organiser takes a small commission and pays you after the event, which I guess would negate the need for my own card reader, but there's still a chance that the customer might see something else on the way to the payment desk!

On the other side, in some of the places where I have seen this service on offer such as Earth & Fire at Rufford, phone signal is rather intermittent at best, so you don't always have a choice. 

I know I certainly don't do enough to warrant a monthly fee, but I don't mind a percentage of takings if it boosts overall sales.

(sighs) - added to the "things to look into" list....

Blue Box Studio

• Sue Harris
    • Blue Box Studio
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 09:32:20 PM »
I've got worldpay zinc and it's great.  Unlike Paypal it has a screen so the customer can see what they are paying without you handing your phone/tablet over and not let me down yet, unlike my friend who has izettle and it seems to decide to not take particular cards some days, hers hates Mastercards.  Not sure what the high street price is, PC World used to be a cheap outlet, otherwise direct from WPZ it's 69.99 with a 10 code I can give you if you message me your email address.

You need bluetooth for it to work, and none of them work with all phones/tablets, you'd need to check but think iphones are fine, certainly are with WPZ.  You will need wifi or internet to connect to the outside world for the transaction to go through.  Commission is 2.75% and money in your account in 3 days.  If someone handles a sale for you, like the person next door to you (rather than an organiser who opens an account as a central till point), it is considered money laundering, illegal and a breach of any of these things' T&Cs and they could be out of pocket on a recharge if someone bought from Jean and finds they have a credit card entry for Henry. It's just  as 'official' as having the kind of terminal that prints paper receipts (very costly, cancelled mine a year ago) and you are contracted for data protection and the legalities of taking money so anyone who shares their terminal is at risk. 

Wouldn't be without a way of taking plastic, no one has cash anymore and most of my fairs are nowhere near the cash point so they wouldn't come back.
Sue ~ Blue Box Studio ~ see website for outlets
Website ~ Blog ~ Etsy ~ Flickr

jean

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 10:43:39 AM »
That's brilliant info thanks so much folks!
I dont have bluetooth, can look into what i need though. Think if i can afford it it would be worth it over time if i do the one of payment for one.  :)

Dawn

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 11:26:41 AM »

I dont have bluetooth, can look into what i need though.

The iPhone 4 has bluetooth Jean, you just need to turn it on in settings.