Author Topic: White Bullseye glass sheets - is it a case of you get what you pay for?  (Read 3491 times)

Blue Box Studio

• Sue Harris
    • Blue Box Studio
I'm getting on reasonably well with cutting up pieces of glass but have slightly less success with Warm Glass' 25 x 20cm sheets BUT my biggest issue is sheets of white Bullseye - I've been going for the cheaper 3mm White Opal 0113.30 and it seems to have a mind of its own!  One sheet would only break when I cracked/banged from underneath, my breaking pliers were not having any effect (but they are fine for everything else 3mm) and today, another sheet of this and it seemed to be filled with lots of curved cracks so when I went to break it, ne'er a straight line to be had. 

Is it a tendency with the cheaper glass, and there should be less issues if I go for the dearer 3mm Opaque White Opal 0013.30?  Or am I regressing not progressing :(

I'm sure there is a knack to the larger sheets and I've been allowing room for error, for error there will be at this stage, but the white glass is really taxing me. 

I've only used Bullseye - is this where someone says 'try Spectrum, it's nicer'?  I can get both locally.  But a bit like my lampwork glass, I've tended not to have more than one in case I mix them in error.

Thanks for your help.
Sue ~ Blue Box Studio ~ see website for outlets
Website ~ Blog ~ Etsy ~ Flickr

Dawn

• Administrator
Re: White Bullseye glass sheets - is it a case of you get what you pay for?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 04:13:08 PM »
Personally I would never say, try Spectrum, it's nicer - I am happy with Bullseye and I am confident with being able to mix all colours without worry (for me to add Spectrum to my range now, I'd have to add lots of glass, so I'd end up spending more even if it was cheaper)

White is known to be the hardest of all the colours to cut, I am not sure why (may be its something similar to it being a 'harder' glass than others, and it softens later in the firing cycle), but if a cut is going run off, you can be sure it will be white. In my classes, students probably have more trouble
with white than other colours, and yes it still happens to me sometimes!

I rarely try the other whites, but I cannot see it making a difference as Bullseye is so consistent across it's range. 

For the difference in cutting small and larger pieces, if you're having more difficulty with all larger pieces,  my best guess would be you're not quite being consistent with the pressure you're applying to the whole length of the score, Sue.  Do you sit down or stand up?  Do you score quite slowly?  Are you stopping, or slowing down along the length of the score?

Have you got a decent cutter?  Could you have knackered it a little by re-scoring (blunts the cutting wheel)?  Or is it still good sometimes?

Blue Box Studio

• Sue Harris
    • Blue Box Studio
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 04:26:05 PM »
Thanks Dawn.  I'm standing up and on top of the piece of glass, cutting on a cutting board (the green self-heal thingies).  The cutter is nearly new and I think I am getting an even score but perhaps not as even as I think?  The speed of cutting is consistent, perhaps I ought be be slower, but I wouldn't say I am fast.  I've not rescored over the same place, I was told if it won't break, turn it over and recut again same place other side.  Have the metal breaking pliers, couldn't get on with the plastic ones that felt like they were flexing in my hands.

Will try another colour to white, was looking for a neutral base colour but think French Vanilla is going to react with copper and silver inclusions?

June

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 12:41:12 PM »
We've not had more problems with the cheaper white than any orher colour, but you do get the odd cut that goes awry!  :(. We got a morton board and the cutting kit which helped enormously. There is an outlay but don't have problems with breaking it now very often  :)

Dawn

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 03:57:49 PM »
Will try another colour to white, was looking for a neutral base colour but think French Vanilla is going to react with copper and silver inclusions?

Bullseye now do a non reactive cream, very similar colour to French Vanilla, but stable.

Dawn

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 04:05:00 PM »
I also find light peach cream, almond striker and mint green are quite nice pale colours to work with, depends on what you want to do.  I also have artichoke which is lovely colour, not worked with it yet though. 

And yes, copper and silver with react with French Vanilla - think Ivory in the lamp-working world.   Which reminds me, Sue very kindly made me some silvered ivory stringers awhile back for me to play with, before my life got turned upside down, must dig them out and have a play!

Blue Box Studio

• Sue Harris
    • Blue Box Studio
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 06:22:47 PM »
We've not had more problems with the cheaper white than any orher colour, but you do get the odd cut that goes awry!  :(. We got a morton board and the cutting kit which helped enormously. There is an outlay but don't have problems with breaking it now very often  :)

That's on my list for when I can afford it, I don't think a metal ruler with blue tac stuck on the bottom is helping me either?

Bullseye now do a non reactive cream, very similar colour to French Vanilla, but stable.

Will look for that one, thanks for that.  A lot of what I started with were Bullseye student packs - getting a bit fed up of planning something that goes totally wrong because the glass turns out to be reactive or a kiln striker - not many numbers on the bits in student packs, but a cheap way for a beginner to get started.

I'm planning some stock for the county open studio event in May so, having made a lot of sun catchers (where is the sun???) now moving on to small bowls and dishes and onwards to coasters which, when another friend came in with me, sold like hot cakes, might then move on to a few simple clocks.  My problem, with the sheets of white is they aren't making the number of coaster bases I want from a sheet, but I do have a lot of small white based trinket dishes and diminishingly smaller items.  Just seems the white is worst for me.

Thanks for your help.  Also want to try some powder printing so will look at the other colours you suggest as well.

Dawn

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 08:53:10 PM »
A lot of what I started with were Bullseye student packs - getting a bit fed up of planning something that goes totally wrong because the glass turns out to be reactive or a kiln striker - not many numbers on the bits in student packs, but a cheap way for a beginner to get started.

Well, this was made from offcuts, which I hadn't labeled of course... I was aiming for shades of green and thought one of the glasses I was using was a pale lemon yellow.....

Dawn

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 08:56:34 PM »

That's on my list for when I can afford it, I don't think a metal ruler with blue tac stuck on the bottom is helping me either?

I've not tried the Morton system, I know some people love it and others not so.  However, this is something I would *not* be without

http://www.warm-glass.co.uk/small-cutting-lsquare-p-287.html

ETA: grammar error!

Blue Box Studio

• Sue Harris
    • Blue Box Studio
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 11:33:41 PM »
I've not tried the Morton system, I know some people love it and others not so.  However, this is something I would *not* without@

http://www.warm-glass.co.uk/small-cutting-lsquare-p-287.html

Aha, better than the square I got from the DIY shop, which is too deep and designed for wood.  Will get one when I next go over there :)