Author Topic: First attempt!  (Read 3488 times)

Tinker

• Making glass my bitch, one day at a time
    • Beads By Kat
First attempt!
« on: January 17, 2015, 10:13:28 AM »

First fusing project by Kat Newman, on Flickr

Thanks to some expert help  :-* I've fused my first coaster, yay!!

There are some things that are wrong that I would like to understand in terms of the firing schedule so that I can start to experiment, if you will indulge me?

Ok so first of all, the bottom corners are more round than the top ones. I didn't put this in totally central but the rounder corners were nearer the kiln door where I had taken out the fibre from the viewing window so I would have expected the opposite to happen.

Also, there is some roughness where the decoration hasn't fully melted into the base.

The very bottom edge of the sides are rough and slightly uneven. Is this just what happens or is this a heat issue?

So what I am trying to understand here is what part of the firing schedule does what, and which bit do I tinker with?

Here is the schedule I used:
Ramp1 222
Temp1 677
Hold1 30
Ramp2 333
Temp2 816
Hold2 10
Ramp3 998/just under Full
Temp3 516
Hold3 30
Ramp4 83
Temp4 371
Hold4 000
Ramp5 998/just under full
Temp5 80
Hold5 000
Ramp6 0000

So my questions are, which segment do I tinker with to get a fuller melt, rounder corners/fuller heat distribution, nicer edges etc and is it best to up the heat or keep the heat for longer?

The back of the coaster is quite rough too, is this usual?

And on another note, how stinkin cute are Sue's bee murrini?! :)

Thanks in advance though, will keep posting experiments so they hopefully can be of use to others too x

Pandanimal

• I'd be unstoppable if I could just get started
    • Pandanimal Lampwork Glass
Re: First attempt!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 10:33:18 AM »
Can't help you with the tecnical stuffs, but in answer to the the murinni question, the answer is very very very.
Fabulous first coaster. I can see you will go from strength to strength.

Tinker

• Beads By Kat
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 12:29:56 PM »
Hee hee, thanks Julia :)

Ok so am reading up, and this article here: http://www.vineryglass.com/basicfusinginstructions.php is making me think I need to fuse 'slower' to get a more even melt? I think that means that I need to ramp segment 2 at a lower number and maybe go hotter or hold longer. Am I in the right boat?

Tinker

• Beads By Kat
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 12:38:26 PM »
Damn, nice try but this article here says that segment needs to be done as fast as possible http://www.artglass2.com/fusing-glass.html

Perhaps I need to hold for a bit longer then. I need a little book for noting down fusing results don't I ;)

Cornish

• Magic happens
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 01:15:01 PM »
The bees are very cute and I'm looking forward to seeing more of your fusing  :)

awrylemming

• So many crafts, too little time
    • Flaming 'Eck
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 01:22:43 PM »
You should have got one with your kiln Kat - have a look at the destructions that came with.

jean

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 01:28:45 PM »
i really like that the bees are great!

Jolene

• Colour, it's like flavour for your eyeballs
  • Administrator
  • Jo x
    • Kitzbitz Art Glass
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 02:07:58 PM »
The bees are very sweet, sorry, no help here on any of he technical stuff though

Mead Moon

• Mead Moon
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2015, 02:12:02 PM »
Hi Tinker,

Is it Bullseye glass?  If so, then I would try dropping the top temperature to 804 and only hold for 5 minutes.  With the disclaimer that you have to get to know your own kiln and how it fires.
Also, assuming Bullseye, you can save a bit of time by annealing at 482 instead of 516 and I would hold for 45 minutes for a two layer item.  Personally, I don't bother with seg. 5 and simply stop at 371 and allow the kiln to cool at its natural rate with the door closed.
If the dichro is on the top layer, then it is more likely than not to stay rough - something to do with the coating.
The sides may be uneven because the thickness of glass there (before fusing) varies where you have the coloured glass on top.

WRT the schedule: Seg 1 is the Initial Heating Phase where the glass acts as a solid and must not be heated too quickly or you might get thermal shock,  the hold as the end is to help air bubbles to escape from between layers of glass.
Seg 2 is the fusing phase.
Seg 3 is the rapid cooling phase where the rapid rate helps to control devitrification which is most likely to occur above 700C.  The hold at the end of this seg is to enable the glass to reach the same temp throughout the item.
Seg 4 is the slow annealing phase - as a lampworker I'm sure that you know all about this :)

HTH.
Elaine at Mead Moon
Mead Moon
Etsy
Facebook

Tinker

• Beads By Kat
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2015, 06:29:59 PM »
Oh Elaine that's just exactly the info I was hoping to get, thank you! And it's lovely to hear from you :)

So yes, its bullseye and I am firing in an sc2.

I shall digest all of that and give it another go next week, thank you. I understand the rough bottom is due to the kiln paper. Still not entirely sure why the top corners didn't round at the same rate as the bottom, unless that's also due to the dicro but I guess some more testing to see if there is a colder / hotter area is required.

So, if I wanted to give this another little fire to tidy up the corners etc would I use the same schedule but reduce the melty section a bit? Or maybe I'll be adventurous and try slumping it over something. Hmm...