Author Topic: Pottery Newbie!  (Read 2436 times)

Izzybeads

• Smile and the world smiles with you :)
    • Izzybeads
Re: Pottery Newbie!
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 08:37:00 PM »
Whinnnnnnnnne... i wanna play....

Tinker

• Making glass my bitch, one day at a time
    • Beads By Kat
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 09:50:22 PM »
Aww thanks guys :) and thanks for the tips Terri, centering that initial lump of clay is really hard but I am struggling the most with pulling it up. I was getting thin bits where I'm guessing I brought my fingers together too much. I'll get it though. Its not so much hard on the fingers as the wrists I'm finding, Sue.

If you're not coping with throwing there seems to be plenty of other ways to make clay things tho. I want to crack the throwing but they have all these fab moulds there too and I wanna play with everything, like, now :D

jille

• I love my work
    • Kiln Fired Art shop
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 10:04:28 PM »
I tried to post on fb but it didn't post I'm so jealous, i have been thinkng of buying a wheel, i can't find a course near me, but I've been watching vids on youtube. My concern is i don't get the hang of it. Maybe the way my hands are itsa bad idea though
You have done a great job

Terri

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 10:19:27 PM »
Ah, centering - my top tip is psychological - this limb of clay is not going to beat me!  Just square up to it and force it to submit to your will.  ;D ;D

Terri

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2015, 10:27:34 PM »
Ooooh, can I come?!  Something I've always wanted to do, but was told it might be difficult with the arthritis, what d'ya reckon?  They have some brilliant family pottery making classes at Richmond college, I keep dithering.

Definitely got some clay envy here ..... the pot looks fab!

Throwing is hard on the hands, wrists and shoulders, but it only one way to make pots.  There's pinching, coils and slabs.  These techniques can be combined and offer a wider scope of design.  There's nothing that cannot be made using these hand building techniques whereas wheel thrown pots are fairly restricted to round or cylindrical.

I am planning to do some pottery at home in the near future and will be posting Dr pictures.

awrylemming

• So many crafts, too little time
    • Flaming 'Eck
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2015, 07:30:57 AM »
You and the hubby will end up having to move into the shed to make room in the house for your myriad of studios and kilns!   ;D
Sounds like clay ain't for me though, it's throwing I've always wanted to play with.  I had a go years ago but can't remember too much about it now.  Although my wrists aren't too bad, it's my fingers that are carp, so perhaps I might book a taster sometime.   :)

Pandanimal

• I'd be unstoppable if I could just get started
    • Pandanimal Lampwork Glass
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2015, 08:22:16 AM »
It looks fab. Well done. I did a pottery evening class when I got my first job, ended up dragging my then boyfriend with me. Had loads of fun.
I have a couple of large bags of clay somewhere that I bought at the insistence of #3 when he was doing GCSE art, which he never touched. Been wondering if I can fire it in my SC2 as small beads or something. You have inspired me to find out more. Thanks Tinks.

Izzybeads

• Smile and the world smiles with you :)
    • Izzybeads
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2015, 08:28:33 AM »

:P :P :P

Blue Box Studio

• Sue Harris
    • Blue Box Studio
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2015, 09:02:21 AM »
I could manage the Swayze bit, it is clay on a wheel I have an issue with ;)
Sue ~ Blue Box Studio ~ see website for outlets
Website ~ Blog ~ Etsy ~ Flickr

ChatElaine

• I'm on Fire with Wire
    • www.ChatElaineGlassArt.etsy.com
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2015, 01:51:50 AM »
Great first attempts Kat

I love clay, I tried a pottery class years ago. My first evening class it was, I loved the clay but throwing pots I just didn't master it too well I'm afraid.

I love the sculptural side of it more, I really want to get back to it so that's why I thought I would start with a bit of air drying clay at home!

DD loves clay too and she has made so many things at school for her GCSE's and some of her AS too, that has also inspired me into trying it out again! Just bought some cookie cutters yesterday to help me out with hearts and flowers etc.

Can't wait to see what else you make Kat on your pottery journey  :)