Author Topic: Newbie help - Skutt Hotstart Pro kiln firing  (Read 1280 times)

Blue Box Studio

• Sue Harris
    • Blue Box Studio
Newbie help - Skutt Hotstart Pro kiln firing
« on: January 12, 2015, 10:56:03 AM »
Just got a new to me Skutt Hotstart Pro kiln - does anyone else have one who can help?

I'm fine with the normal auto firings, seems to do Bullseye as well as Spectrum (I've only Bullseye glass) and not had to increase the firing temps.  But I tried firing some float glass yesterday (bought from Creative Glass Shop) and it's not fully fused.  I've worked out I need to increase the temps, and that's my question. (I'm going to use the schedule on the Glass with a past website).

I don't really understand the Beginner + MGF section which says it toggles between Auto mode and Modify Glass Fire Mode - I want to keep the Auto mode as for basic full and tac fuse and slumping as they seem to work ok for me, BUT I need to get in additional options for the float glass.  I know I can fiddle and see what happens, but thought someone here might know before I start fiddling?  Does this Beginner + MGF mode give me all the usual and the extras I programme in or do I have to keep resetting it every time I want to go from float to Bullseye to float?

Am I making sense?

Sorry if it's a daft question, but having had such a problem getting it to work when I first got it (turned out to be a screw loose from the car journey but looked dead for several days), I keep expecting it to throw me another error code at me in anger.
Sue ~ Blue Box Studio ~ see website for outlets
Website ~ Blog ~ Etsy ~ Flickr

Izzybeads

• Smile and the world smiles with you :)
    • Izzybeads
Re: Newbie help - Skutt Hotstart Pro kiln firing
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 01:29:36 PM »
Sue there is two types of programmes on the Skutt one is the pre-programmed ones and the other you do yourself, I think there are 5/7 programmes you can add and store so keep a record of them and you can just set to which programme you want on the firing.  Does that make sense?

Blue Box Studio

• Sue Harris
    • Blue Box Studio
Re: Newbie help - Skutt Hotstart Pro kiln firing
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 01:34:54 PM »
I seem to have 3 options, Auto, glass fire mode (which I can't get my head around) and the programmable.  Think I can toggle between auto and pro and I think I have a programme in there but got easily confused today with SE6 which I read as 6 segments not SEG and the number after flashed 0001 which I thought was 1 of the 6, not a 1 segment programme so the darned think kept starting. 

So we've had another 30 minutes of 'why? Delilah!!' and going back to the beginner programme.

I'll let you know how I get on.  Doesn't help the thing is only inches off the floor and even at 5ft I'm not.  The floor is hard and cold.

We may end up with fused glass, or a barbeque! 
Sue ~ Blue Box Studio ~ see website for outlets
Website ~ Blog ~ Etsy ~ Flickr