Author Topic: Been on a collagraph printing workshop...  (Read 1417 times)

nemeton

• Hi, I'm Lynn and I'm a beadaholic
    • Lynn Davy Beadwork
Been on a collagraph printing workshop...
« on: November 05, 2014, 05:03:48 PM »
... and had such fun  ;D ;D ;D
There's a lovely lady who lives just down the road from me, her name is Genevieve Lavers and I've known her for years (her daughter and my DS were in the same reception class at primary school). She's recently stopped being a language teacher and started doing printmaking instead. I've just finished a two-day course (last Wednesday and today) making collagraph plates, inking and polishing them, and making prints.
These are fragments from what I produced today - will take better photos when the things are properly dry and flattened. Here's my first attempt, too much texture and too much ink, but it's an amazing effect none the less. Your brain can't see that the image is actually deeply embossed into the paper - it looks like a photo of a piece of string...

That was just random textures. What I really wanted to do was to use some of the redwood litter that litters my lawn, and make a print I could use as cover/endpapers for a travel journal for all the bits and pieces from our American road trip, because the redwood tree at the bottom of the garden was what gave us the idea of going there in the first place and it was amazing to see wild forest with this very familiar leaf litter on the ground. Redwood twigs are actually really bad for making collagraph plates because they're brittle and shiny and prickly so they don't stick, they get way too much ink in the cracks, and then disintegrate when you try to clean the spare ink off. But we persisted and although I was convinced the whole thing would be a disaster, in the end it made a wonderful print and then an even better one. Here are bits from both:

I also wanted to use beadwork, but of course glass beads are too fragile to put through a printing press, so I tried to take an impression in PVA glue. It sort-of worked and I really like the effect although you wouldn't really know it was beads in the first place. I need to find something that'll take a better impression. Messy experiments coming up... The strip on the left is the beady part, the other things are rice grains and sesame seeds. This is from a dinky little square plate that will make lovely Christmas cards  ;D

I am now thoroughly addicted and saving up to book another session on Genny's printing press because I've got loads more ideas! And it was so lovely to do something creative that wasn't beads and didn't have any sort of agenda other than 'have fun'  ;D

Jolene

• Colour, it's like flavour for your eyeballs
  • Administrator
  • Jo x
    • Kitzbitz Art Glass
Re: Been on a collagraph printing workshop...
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 05:32:24 PM »
Wow! That is so cool. It sounds like you have been having such fun and the results are brilliant Lynn

jille

• I love my work
    • Kiln Fired Art shop
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 05:48:55 PM »
wow, I love them all, the string looks fab, I love textures

awrylemming

• So many crafts, too little time
    • Flaming 'Eck
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 08:00:05 PM »
Ooooh, gorgeous!  So many things to learn, we need more hours  ;D

Dawn

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 08:25:30 PM »
Fab work Lynn, can't wait to see more pics.

I love collagraph printing, I reckon it's probably my favourite technique, as I love embossing.  I miss doing printing....

Kayleigh

• Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    • Cyndra Arts
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 08:30:17 PM »
So cooooool!

Cornish

• Magic happens
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 10:48:09 PM »
Wow that looks fun  :D

Izzybeads

• Smile and the world smiles with you :)
    • Izzybeads
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 07:51:24 AM »
Fabulous I can imagine lots of sticky messy experiments in your house :)

♥♥Tan♥♥

• Gay for Jammie, one step from leg dry hump!
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014, 01:43:08 PM »
I chuffing love that ropey one, you are ace.