Author Topic: Anyone done any screen printing?  (Read 1686 times)

nemeton

• Hi, I'm Lynn and I'm a beadaholic
    • Lynn Davy Beadwork
Re: Anyone done any screen printing?
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2014, 05:34:10 PM »
I did a course once a long time ago, absolutely loved it although I struggled with the advance planning part if using more than one colour  ::) 'Fraid I don't have any equipment though. Will be fascinated to see how you get on!

♥♥Tan♥♥

• Gay for Jammie, one step from leg dry hump!
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2014, 05:37:03 PM »
Sue do you have the rollers as well?

Blue Box Studio

• Sue Harris
    • Blue Box Studio
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2014, 07:09:19 PM »
OK :)
Sue ~ Blue Box Studio ~ see website for outlets
Website ~ Blog ~ Etsy ~ Flickr

jille

• I love my work
    • Kiln Fired Art shop
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2014, 09:09:12 PM »

Blue Box Studio

• Sue Harris
    • Blue Box Studio
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2014, 10:20:38 PM »
I mostly used masking tape, sticky backed plastic, plastic labels in all shapes, star stickers  and in a couple if screens I used screen filler. I only wanted my screens to last a few prints, although I had as few repeatable designs.
Sue ~ Blue Box Studio ~ see website for outlets
Website ~ Blog ~ Etsy ~ Flickr

Dawn

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2014, 11:23:09 PM »
I did it at college and uni, which was the first time since school many many years previously.

At school, we used the craft knife and paper to make stencils method, things had moved on by the time I encountered it again. At college/ we used a photographic emulsion method.  We would coat a screen with the special emulsion and then create a mask.  Several methods to do that, but we usually used acetate sheets - either photocopy a B&W image previously drawn, or you can print onto acetate from computer files, including scanned drawings, photographs, computer generated graphics and so on.  There's lots of variables, you can get a wider range of shades with smaller mesh screens, but high contrast images, such as line drawings worked the best, especially if you're hoping to use enamels which are grainier than other paper and fabric printing mediums.

The acetate was taped to the coated screen and then the whole thing exposed to UV light in a special unit for a few minutes. 

This next stage is a bit fuzzy (four years since I did it) but where the acetate print was black (or you can mask with items such as paper cut outs, tapes, pens, paint, etc) the emulsion hasn't developed (think a negative and photographic paper) and stays soft - the exposed areas develop and harden, binding to the fabric.  You wash the screen and the soft, non-developed bits wash off.

When you screen print, the ink will go through these bits that had previously had the mask covering them, as there is no emulsion blocking the mesh in the screen.

After finishing with a screen, we had to spray it with a chemical that broke down the emulsion, then jet wash and scrub it clean.

I printed sometimes onto paper or occasionally fabric at school but later mainly on to glass using ceramic glaze or enamels, worked quite well - but I have no idea how you would do it without the exposure unit?   I am guessing there are emulsions that respond to different levels of light.  Rachel Elliott uses screen printing techniques a lot, I don't know if she uses an exposure unit but I think she might do.

Around Derby, there are printing studios where you can go and do the emulsion and exposure bit, which is what my ex studio-share partner used to do - she had all the screens, squeegees, etc, but used to hire studio time to create or clean down screens.

Either way, I've only ever done it with single colours.

jille

• I love my work
    • Kiln Fired Art shop
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2014, 08:24:19 AM »
Now I remember why I procrastinate  ::)
I will see if I can find the dryad kit, it won't have chemicals or a uv light so there must be a simpler method. I think you cut a mask and squeegee through it.

spexy

• Earthshine Lampwork Bead and Jewellery Design
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2014, 09:13:26 AM »
I remember doing a screen printed t-shirt at school using a stencil.

I bought a second hand 4 colour station for printing t-shirts when I had my business and the way Dawn described it is pretty much the same way I did it. I managed to find someone who could show me how to do it but in the end only managed to print one run of 100 shirts and didn't do any more it was such a faff.