Author Topic: CE testing for soft toys  (Read 1005 times)

Tinker

• Making glass my bitch, one day at a time
    • Beads By Kat
CE testing for soft toys
« on: September 15, 2014, 11:46:07 AM »
Hello all,

Joley feel free to sticky this for prosperity if you want to.

When I posted a pic of my art doll on Facebook, a contact messaged me to advise me that the CE testing rules were quite strict and that if I intended selling them I should investigate. The general prescription is that if what you make has 'playability' ie if a child under 14 years old is going to want to hug it or play with it then its a toy and must be tested, its not enough to just declare it 'not a toy' or 'not for children'.

So I've spent the best part of 3 days researching, talking to others, emailing folks in the business and now have a headache! So to minimise your head trauma if you ever want to make soft toys for sale here's a bit of a starter for ten...

The good news is you can self certify. You can get a CE testing pack from conformance.co.uk that costs about 30. The bad news is that testing involves torture of one of your lovingly created items!!

You need a safety certificate for each product and material you use as well as performing your own tests. You have to document your designs and creation process. All very involved!!

Of course there is a support group on Facebook for CE testing called CE testing chatter, and they also run a closed group for a kitty where you pay to join and can obtain free or cheaper safety certs for the materials that you use.

It all sounds rather daunting but actually now that I've spoken to a couple of people its not so bad once you get into it. Thankfully there are ways to ensure art dolls can be sold as a collectible and not a toy and I will be going down that route!

Cornish

• Magic happens
Re: CE testing for soft toys
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 03:01:06 PM »
It is a bit head spinning I found this from the gov.uk site and it explains the toy safety directive better than the large pdf offical documentation, though there is a link on the gov.uk site for that too.

https://www.gov.uk/toy-manufacturers-and-their-responsibilities

jille

• I love my work
    • Kiln Fired Art shop
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 04:33:15 PM »
I'm still in a muddle about my ceramic brooches, if I say "not for children" will that be ok?

Tinker

• Making glass my bitch, one day at a time
    • Beads By Kat
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 05:05:53 PM »
I honestly don't know Jille, but I would have hoped so. Go belt and braces with 'Caution, sharp' and not for children maybe?

I'm also coming back to add that I finally got a response from my local trading standards - Jille you could email your local TS? - to say its a collectors item and should be labelled as such. Non 'children' seem to start at 14 years old so you have to say 'for 14 and up' or somesuch

jille

• I love my work
    • Kiln Fired Art shop
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 06:11:33 PM »
I could do that, thanks