Author Topic: Is a newsletter worth it?  (Read 968 times)

Kayleigh

• Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    • Cyndra Arts
Is a newsletter worth it?
« on: September 11, 2014, 11:04:19 AM »
I've been toying with the idea for a while. I think it could be good to send out a newsletter via email once a month or so updating peeps on what I've been up to and what events are coming up. It might be a good way to keep my work in people's minds.

What do you think?
Do you/have you sent out newsletters? Have they worked out well and been useful?

Cornish

• Magic happens
Re: Is a newsletter worth it?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 11:08:14 AM »
I'd be interested in the replies too as its something I also keep thinking it might be useful.

Tinker

• Making glass my bitch, one day at a time
    • Beads By Kat
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 11:16:16 AM »
I keep thinking about this too, but I'm rubbish at keeping up with the blog etc so I wasn't sure if I'd manage it. But you do lots of fairs don't you? Might be well worth it for you, run a contact list at your fairs maybe with a giveaway for people that give up their email addresses and add online customers automatically and you'd probably have a good audience in no time

Kayleigh

• Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    • Cyndra Arts
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 11:44:03 AM »
That's a good idea Kat. I do try to do a lot of fairs, and a bunch of other stall holders always seem to have an email sign up list. Maybe I can give it a go. I definitely wouldn't send out more than one a month unless something REALLY exciting happened so thought that might be easier to stick to (I'm useless at keeping up with blogs too).

jille

• I love my work
    • Kiln Fired Art shop
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 02:36:17 PM »
I pondered the idea too, maybe give offers etc but I don't have a list of email followers and i don't do many fairs. I do think it's a good idea, i enjoy reading one I get from an artist i know.
You don't have anything to lose really

Blue Box Studio

• Sue Harris
    • Blue Box Studio
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 03:59:56 PM »
You can  add people automatically without their sign up but you will get people who aren't interested in your newsletter and those who then unsubscribe - or take offence at being signed up.  You cannot do this for people in USA - they HAVE to sign up on their own through a double opt in mail device (I use Mail Chimp) that is their law.  It depends if you want quality or quantity of subscribers.

I've had one for 9 months now, some signed up when I had a couple of giveaways, even the winner didn't respond to claim her prize until I emailed her and gave her a cut off date!  Of those I have, the ones I initially signed up through a mass newsletter sign up event run on another forum, we all did a giveaway so it was one big campaign - most unsubscribed later and those that didn't don't bother to open my newsletter.  Personally I would go for people who really want to know about what you have to offer.  Having talked to people at fairs, few sign up, they want to buy there and then they don't want to shop on line, come find you later or visit another event.  There are rules on giveaways and raffles, so watch if you do a 'sign up now and enter my raffle for this [item]' - comes under the Gaming regulations, believe it or not.  I only know because someone at a fair last Christmas got the sharp end of someone from Trading Standards over this.

Is it worth it?  I'm not sure.  You want different content to your blog, else they can just read that.  You offer enticements, 15% off your first purchase in my shop, that sort of thing and so far I've had few positive results from mine.  Or I could just be the most boring person on the planet and make nothing anyone would want.

Turn it round the other way - how many newsletters do you receive?  Then how many do you actually bother to read, go on to their site to have a look, perhaps buy or bookmark for later purchases?

Sue ~ Blue Box Studio ~ see website for outlets
Website ~ Blog ~ Etsy ~ Flickr

jille

• I love my work
    • Kiln Fired Art shop
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 06:32:56 PM »
Good points Sue, i am signed up for several but don't read many of them