Author Topic: Morton Portable Glass Shop and board  (Read 5384 times)

FionaS

• WINIBI
Morton Portable Glass Shop and board
« on: June 04, 2014, 02:47:20 PM »
I'm thinking of buying this.  Do any of you have it?  Is it good?  Also is Tempsford Stained Glass the best place to get it from?  Never bought from them before.  I've seen it on Warm Glass but they only have the mini cutting board not the maxi.  Lastly do any of you have the Morton circle cutting systems (circle & border or teeny) are they any good?

flamingbeads

• Live for today, for tomorrow is promised to no one
    • Flaming Beads
Re: Morton Portable Glass Shop and board
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 03:30:28 PM »
I keep looking and wanting....but not yet. I have the large circle cutter that I bought last year :o and not got around to using yet ::) would love to hear your thoughts on it if you decide to go for it ;)

Dawn

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 07:04:35 PM »
I've not tried the Morton system - the board or anything, in fact I've not seen it the flesh so I don't know how good it is.

I read somewhere that its good because all those irritating little shards drop through, but other people say it's a waste of money - I use an A1 cutting mat from Rymans as my soft surface, which has squares marked on in for sizing.

I think the Morton system as a straight edge guide, which would be great for repeats when I am doing things like my sun catcher workshops - endless cutting of small rectangles - if it does a fixed size?  But actually I couldn't find enough about it to check if it did what I wanted - last time I looked it was all a bit vague.

Tempsford are fine to deal with, I've had a few things from them, helpful and quick/

In terms of circles, I have the lens cutter and also the big circle cutter - and I think I've mastered circles, no cold working here:

But I don't know how it compares with ease of use with the Morton system.  Getting a decent circle is as much about the correct pressure and the break-out method as the tools used I suspect.

Black Heart Beads

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 01:39:14 AM »
I don't have the glass shop but have the board and teeny circle cutter. I have an irritating tendency to cut lots of small irregular shapes and the board is not suited to this. The sections catch small shards well but slightly larger bits tend to stick up from them and attack me. I had a lot of cuts before I stopped using it altogether. I also found it a faff to get the shards out of the morton board due to its size. I now use a A1 cutting mat and just give it a quick swipe from a baby wipe to pick up the shards and its much safer for what I do.
The mini circle cutter I found OK but time consuming and a bit fiddly. I now have lens cutter. It's over twice the price but I love it, sturdy and easy to use. For large circles I use a cheep standard glass cutter from ebay and as Dawn said its just a matter of technique.

Jeannette

• Paladin Glass
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 07:07:13 AM »
I visited tempsford and they said unles you do a huge amount of repetitive cutting they wouldn't recommend it.
I've not had good experiences with Tempsford actually, but at least they have a secure website now!
Jeannette xx

My Etsy ~ My Facebook

June

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 08:03:42 AM »
We have one and it makes straight edge cutting much easier. OH does the cutting because I am not strong enough to stand and get a good score and cut!  We did try the teeny circle cutter with it but are not keen, we prefer the German one for circles but you can't get really small circles with it. Tempsford have been fine so far, in my opinion  :)

Mead Moon

• Mead Moon
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 09:43:59 AM »
I have one but tend to only use it for cutting straight edges and for getting angles correct.  As Black Heart Beads said, it is no use for very small pieces but I do find it useful to collect the tiny bits that accumulate when you're cutting.  I don't get on very well with the tiny circle cutter, but the larger one that was bought from Reading Stained Glass is fine, so I still need to find a solution for cutting small circles.

Tempsford have the best price as far as I can see.  Mine came from there and I've never had any problems with them or their customer service.
Elaine at Mead Moon
Mead Moon
Etsy
Facebook

Dawn

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 10:25:44 AM »
  I don't get on very well with the tiny circle cutter, but the larger one that was bought from Reading Stained Glass is fine, so I still need to find a solution for cutting small circles.

I'm with Sam on this one, the Lens cutter, not cheap, but so easy to use

FionaS

• WINIBI
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 05:29:16 PM »
Thanks for your opinions everyone.  I think I might hold off for a bit and just get and A1 cutting mat.

Mead Moon

• Mead Moon
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 09:45:14 AM »
Thank you for the recommendations for the Lens Cutter.  I'll start saving :)
Elaine at Mead Moon
Mead Moon
Etsy
Facebook