Author Topic: Firing toughened window glass  (Read 2450 times)

Ruthie

• A & R Jewellery
Re: Firing toughened window glass
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 12:45:53 PM »
Andy gives them a good scrub and then places them between a folded sheet. To break them he taps the corner with a hammer, one big bang later he's got a bucket of nuggets.
Then he does something like this to them http://www.craftpimp.co.uk/index.php/topic,4581.msg93758.html#msg93758

jille

• I love my work
    • Kiln Fired Art shop
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 12:49:19 PM »
I did wonder about using them like frit, that dish looks great, I might just have to smash up one and dispose of the rest.
I have a paper weight mould I wonder how it would work in that, I've never had success in it with window glass, I get scummy lines where the frit joins up

flamingbeads

• Live for today, for tomorrow is promised to no one
    • Flaming Beads
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 07:01:41 AM »
I have a few window places near me that rip the frames off(upvc) and separate the two, and have often wanted to ask if I could have a couple of bits ;) glad I haven't now as you could be certain I'd have cut myself.

For quite a few years, double glazing units have been made with one layer of a special glass, it used to be Pilkington K, there's other brands too - if you can find some of that, give it a go  ;)

Thank you for that Dawn :) I shall see if they'd like to let me have anything ;)

Ruth, that looks like a sea find dish!!!...lovely :) if I achieved results like that I'd be VERY chuffed ;)