Author Topic: Project in progress, and frame question - Update :)  (Read 2874 times)

Kayleigh

• Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    • Cyndra Arts
Project in progress, and frame question - Update :)
« on: January 30, 2014, 09:43:37 AM »
I've got a new project idea on the go and this is the first bit of making I've done towards it. Actually, it's the first bit of making I've done this year thinking about it!

I want to make framed pieces then calendars, greetings cards etc out of these framed pieces. This is 'April Showers.' I do love it, there are bits that I'd tweak though but for the first one I've done it ended up being a bit of a practice run.

SAM_0553 by CyndraArts, on Flickr

So a framing question for you all - frames are expensive!!! I did not know this. Any recommendations of where to go for them? The fact that my pieces are square seems to make it all the more awkward to find any. Obviously, cost is a factor as it will have to go into the final price of the piece. I don't really want to sell them unframed as the frame will finish them off nicely. I don't need glass with the frame either as they are not completely flat.

GaysieMay

• http://www.etsy.com/shop/gaysiemay
Re: Project in progress, and frame question.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 09:54:31 AM »
I think IKEA do quite a large range - but I'm not local to one they have some with horrid plastic in rather than glass - distorts things but if you are not bothered that's not going to be an issue.

Kayleigh

• Cyndra Arts
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 10:01:45 AM »
Unfortunately I am nowhere near an IKEA :(

Tinker

• Making glass my bitch, one day at a time
    • Beads By Kat
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 10:16:55 AM »
That's so cute!!
How heavy is it Kayleigh? Could you attach it to a canvas frame? I quite like that effect and you can pick those up fairly reasonable at The Works and places like that - also Wilkinsons is pretty awesome for pretty much anything home related - it's almost a new sort of Woolies nowadays.

jille

• I love my work
    • Kiln Fired Art shop
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 10:23:02 AM »
Wilkinsons sometimes have the right size I've found but I order my frames online Picture frames express usually, if you buy so many you get them cheaper, but they aren't that cheap. Or if you have a local framer maybe he will make something for you with offcuts

sarah t

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 10:30:05 AM »
i am working on a similar idea ( with landscape beads and painted landscapes ) and got one of these to experiment with ..i like the idea of the view from the window kinda thing ...they are quiet small but maybe you could make designs that fit the frame rather than the other way round ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chic-Shabby-Heart-Shutter-Doors-Wooden-Rustic-Photo-Frame-Standing-/370696572547?pt=UK_Home_HomeDecor_Frames&hash=item564f3cce83

Kayleigh

• Cyndra Arts
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 11:13:14 AM »
Cuuute frame Sarah! Can't wait to see your finished pieces too :D

I was really looking for a wooden frame rather than a canvas one, but I'll definitely keep those in mind if I can't find anything. Wilkos have sooo many frames but none square unfortunately, not in my local one anyway. I'm looking through charity shops too to try and find something. Trust me to be so awkward! I'll have a look at those ones too Jill, thanks!

Ooh I do actually have a local framer, maybe I'll pop in next week and see what he could do! You might be on to something with the offcuts as the ones I want are pretty small. Thanks!

jean

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 11:22:13 AM »
thats great Kayleigh!  ;D

nemeton

• Hi, I'm Lynn and I'm a beadaholic
    • Lynn Davy Beadwork
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 12:00:40 PM »
That's a really fun idea - and I agree that your best bet will be to go and talk to your local framer  :) Or as Sarah suggested, find a frame style that you like and make designs to fit the frames.

Also a good idea to make prints and cards... but a heads-up if you're planning to sell them on Etsy: their latest 'clarification' of their new guidelines seems to suggest that art and photography prints are no longer exempt from having to apply for approval for 'working with a manufacturer'. Your picture frames should be OK because they can be viewed as a supply, but if you're having original artwork printed onto other media and you're not actually doing the printing yourself, you'll need to apply to Etsy and disclose that on your 'About' page. The discussion is still ongoing here  :-\

Kayleigh

• Cyndra Arts
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 12:10:57 PM »
Eugh. That's so awkward! What's their issue? Doesn't that mean that painters will have to go through a bunch of hassle to sell prints of their work?
My frames should be fine, they're finished products with handmade pieces inside the frame, surely? Why would they be a supply?