Author Topic: Resin for jewellery?  (Read 1578 times)

KittyBallistic

• Kitty Ballistic
Resin for jewellery?
« on: December 23, 2013, 02:41:27 PM »
I want to have a go at making some jewellery with resin-filled bezels (collage pendants, etc.), and I've read about Envirotex's Jewelry Resin being very good - has anyone used it, and can recommend a stockist?

Also, if I am using printed papers with resin, I know I have to seal them. I thought I read somewhere that Mod Podge wouldn't work for inkjet-printed items - what should I use instead?

Finally, if anyone has recs for where to buy nice bezels for pendants and charms, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.  :)

singlesam

• it wasnt me the beads made me do it
Re: Resin for jewellery?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 03:28:07 PM »
I have some of this and I think its fab, cant remember where I got it from though :-\ but its very versatile I even put tiny flowers in it, for round flat back cabs I used paint tray from the works  :D

FaithB

• can I be in the bum-hole gang?
    • Abyjem Handmade Jewellery & Findings
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 06:26:19 PM »
you could try www.resin8.co.uk   they do a wide range of resin related stuff, bezels, colourants etc. 

PVA glue will seal printed papser for using with resin and it dries clear

awrylemming

• So many crafts, too little time
    • Flaming 'Eck
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 07:09:39 PM »
I bought some of this, as it's a really cheap way of playing with the technique http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mod-Podge-Dimensional-Ounces-CS11215/dp/B003JFXFZU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387825681&sr=8-1&keywords=mod+podge+dimensional+magic  Incredibly simple to use, cures overnight, and dries perfectly clear.

KittyBallistic

• Kitty Ballistic
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 07:26:02 PM »
Sue, how did you find the Mod Podge? I've read about it going cloudy after a few days, and also not being good if the jewellery is immersed in water.

awrylemming

• So many crafts, too little time
    • Flaming 'Eck
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 09:42:40 PM »
My piece is still clear three months later, it's been out in the rain and not suffered for it  :-\  I'm not guaranteeing immersion though!  Have a look at the modge podge rocks blog, there'll be more info on there. 

KittyBallistic

• Kitty Ballistic
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 07:05:06 PM »
I was only wondering as I read somewhere that Mod Podge isn't archival so for items of jewellery which you'd like to last a while, it's not recommended. I will have a look on the blog though.