Author Topic: Looking for a card reader to use with mini ipad  (Read 3945 times)

Seahorse

• Seahorse Studio is finally open for business!
Re: Looking for a card reader to use with mini ipad
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2013, 06:47:49 PM »
PS there is a smaller card reader that was free when I signed up (not sure if it still is) but that's not a chip & pin reader, and doesn't deal with Visa very well, so I decided to bite the bullet and pay for the better card reader.  At least it's a one off cost rather than having to pay for the reader every month.

GaysieMay

• http://www.etsy.com/shop/gaysiemay
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 10:22:51 AM »
Just thought I'd do an update. I went for the zinc worldpay and have so far used it with no problems.  The only thing I am worried about is whether my bank account might get a bit sniffy as it's no a business account, but if needs be I can always open a free online one. Was at a good fair at the weekend and took quite a lot of money on it - wouldn't have wanted to miss those sales.  Yet to check money gas made it into account, so popping off to load up PC and check. X

Blue Box Studio

• Sue Harris
    • Blue Box Studio
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 10:35:08 AM »
Thanks for the update.  I no longer have a business account either and I have a Cardsave mobile terminal paying into it; if Streamline are happy then I am happy.  Apparently the law changed a year or so ago so that sole traders did not have to have a business bank account to have a merchant account.  Took me several bank changes and many months to work that one out, it wasn't made obvious by Cardsave until I asked them what one of the forms they sent me was for.  As soon as I opened free bank accounts the banks started charging :( and as soon as I moved on to another Santander dropped the charges!  I think First Direct are just grateful I pay money in at the moment.
Sue ~ Blue Box Studio ~ see website for outlets
Website ~ Blog ~ Etsy ~ Flickr

GaysieMay

• http://www.etsy.com/shop/gaysiemay
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2013, 11:26:08 AM »
I knew I didn't need a business account as a sole trader, but I'm just not sure how the bank will react, then again I'm not expecting to use it that much.  I had a card saying I took card payments (came in the box with the card reader) so I'm thinking I might not put it out next time and just give people the nudge if they are hovering over my more expensive bits and bobs? One transaction was for 70, but the rest were all 20 (I have incredibly simple lazy pricing system!  ;D

elburnzo

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2014, 12:35:27 PM »
I have the izettle one. It's a bit of a faff tbh. It's fine if it's the right type of card, think it's fine if it's MasterCard but if it's visa it's a nuisance. Might be the other way around. Anyways I haven't had any issues with my bank, no charges etc.

Tinker

• Making glass my bitch, one day at a time
    • Beads By Kat
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2014, 12:44:12 PM »
Its definitely worth the outlay, I love my zinc. Its the difference between a sale or not quite often - you tell them that you take cards and their eyes light up and they start looking around to see what else they want to buy.

I have discovered though, it only checks for update when you connect it and actually start running a payment through. I had checked it before I left last time but didn't start doing a payment. It was rather embarrassing having to wait for it to update not to mention the data usage...

I am coming out of my business account soon, although another tip, don't tell a bank the account will be used for business purposes, they won't give you a personal account if you do, well not HSBC anyway.

flamingbeads

• Live for today, for tomorrow is promised to no one
    • Flaming Beads
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2014, 11:45:54 AM »
Interesting reading, this is something I'll be looking into after the summer hols.

Kayleigh

• Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    • Cyndra Arts
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2014, 11:49:29 AM »
I've not been able to use my worldpay zinc one yet. I've taken it to three fairs and not been able to get on the app at all. It's very frustrating.

flamingbeads

• Live for today, for tomorrow is promised to no one
    • Flaming Beads
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2014, 11:51:02 AM »
I've not been able to use my worldpay zinc one yet. I've taken it to three fairs and not been able to get on the app at all. It's very frustrating.

The lack of signal would be something I would really be worried about.

Blue Box Studio

• Sue Harris
    • Blue Box Studio
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2014, 12:26:45 PM »

Is that due to your internet connection?  Mine's permanently there on my tablet, it talks to the keypad using bluetooth but the only time I had a problem was when I couldn't get an O2 signal where I should have been able to (but then discovered I could get wifi in the building anyway :) )

If you think it is a WPZ problem rather than a wifi or 3G issue, have you contacted them?  I found their customer service really helpful when I was having 'user error' problems (should have read instructions twice!).
Sue ~ Blue Box Studio ~ see website for outlets
Website ~ Blog ~ Etsy ~ Flickr