Author Topic: Looking for a card reader to use with mini ipad  (Read 4310 times)

GaysieMay

• http://www.etsy.com/shop/gaysiemay
Looking for a card reader to use with mini ipad
« on: October 28, 2013, 04:28:16 PM »
Just wondered if anyone has any advice on this?  Horror stories or successes before I start the task of working out which one might suit me best.  I'm wanting one to take to fairs.  Thanks. X

Izzybeads

• Smile and the world smiles with you :)
    • Izzybeads
Re: Looking for a card reader to use with mini ipad
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 06:47:39 PM »
I have a Sum-it gadget thingy, quite a few traders have one, I have yet to use mine though still on the card machine but hubby is taking the card machine over at the garage, too expensive for me to have it for the occasional fair, these days most people prefer cash not cards for spending.

GaysieMay

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 08:32:22 PM »
Thanks Laney will take a look.  I was thinking of taking a closer look at the paypal one too. X

Purple Cobwebs

• Glass melting vegan headbanging biker!
    • Purple Cobwebs
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 01:38:34 PM »
Well, I would have told you about the Izettle one....but having picked it up last night from the pub where DHL delivered it to because I wasn't in, I put it "safely" in my pocket, had a pint, then went to the local curry house, and then home. This morning said pocket is empty, so I appear to have lost it before even playing with it!!!!! Unless I find it put away in a strange "safe" place!!!! Will turn the house upside down later, but I suspect it may have fallen out of my pocket on my way home last night  :'(
Creating to raise money for Dr Hadwen Trust and Viva!
www.purplecobwebs.co.uk
http://www.purplecobwebs.blogspot.co.uk/

June

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 02:47:31 PM »
I have worldpay zinc which is cheaper than izettle and paypal but I haven't used it much  :)

Blue Box Studio

• Sue Harris
    • Blue Box Studio
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 05:43:51 PM »
Sorry if this is a bit of a daft question but I'll ask it anyway!  These gizmos don't print receipts (unlike my Cardsave terminal) how do you give the customer a receipt for their card payment?  If you had to text it to them, isn't that long winded when you are busy?  Like me, a lot of my customers wouldn't have smart phones.
Sue ~ Blue Box Studio ~ see website for outlets
Website ~ Blog ~ Etsy ~ Flickr

GaysieMay

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 06:16:15 PM »
You can email them receipts too Sue  - yes it is long winded, but its something I'm hoping not to have to do too often.  I haven't had time to play with mine yet, but am hoping to get to grips with it later. x

Blue Box Studio

• Sue Harris
    • Blue Box Studio
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 07:58:29 PM »
Now I'm being encouraged to enter the 21 century as well!  Have you looked at Worldpay Zinc, works with Apple but struggling to find an android table it will work with.  Paypal - saw that working a couple of weekends ago, a friend swears by it.  She has on an ipad and seems to have picked up the type of items she sells on Ebay so you can just touch a list to add to invoice.  But it only work with Apple products.  I think Paypal also lets you text the receipt, quicker than Zinc's email the receipt.
Sue ~ Blue Box Studio ~ see website for outlets
Website ~ Blog ~ Etsy ~ Flickr

Cornish

• Magic happens
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2013, 07:51:19 AM »
I've been watching this thread with interest as I've been thinking about getting one probably next year. My worry is using it via my phone and how it will affect my usage limits plus add signal problems for instance some areas here you still can't get a signal and 3G well it's just G. But I must say the paypal here and the worldpay zinc look good.

Seahorse

• Seahorse Studio is finally open for business!
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2013, 06:44:53 PM »
I've gone the iZettle route and I'm reasonably pleased with it.  When it's all playing nicely it's brilliant.  I bought the card reader and the receipt printer and cash box (I have a shop now so wasn't looking for a mobile solution, but there is a receipt printer that doesn't need to be plugged in as well).

My only problem is it's a bit annoying having to keep checking they're all still connected to one another (Bluetooth between the iPad, the card reader and the receipt printer) - if you don't use it for a while it drops the connection.  I guess if you're really busy that won't be an issue though!