Author Topic: Renovating a dolls house  (Read 5243 times)

Jolene

• Colour, it's like flavour for your eyeballs
  • Administrator
  • Jo x
    • Kitzbitz Art Glass
Renovating a dolls house
« on: September 11, 2013, 01:04:36 PM »
I've just been given a super dolls house by the folks at my little lads playgroup. Can you believe they were going to throw it out?! So I'm planning to do it up slowly but don't really know where to start, all help and tips much appreciated xx I know our Laney has done up a dolls house before, get your pics out lovely.

so here it is

Dolls house by kitzbitz art glass by Jolene, on Flickr

6 by kitzbitz art glass by Jolene, on Flickr

5 by kitzbitz art glass by Jolene, on Flickr

more room pics on Facebook

jille

• I love my work
    • Kiln Fired Art shop
Re: Renovating a dolls house
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 01:13:31 PM »
Ooh a lovely house rennovation project there Jo. My Uncle did one that was handed around in the family, he used to do up when needed. I know he got rolls of paper with brick and tile designs

Izzybeads

• Smile and the world smiles with you :)
    • Izzybeads
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 04:13:05 PM »
Right, just 'borrowed' some pics from girlie, she took these as part of her AS level Photography exam and got an A  ;) four marks off an A* she found out today  ;D  part of her portfolio was miniature and she used the dolly house.  She has had this dolly house for years and years, Granny has painted pictures for the walls and made flower decorations and you will spot various beads dotted around it usually with bits missing as they are the rejects :P

There is an album on Flickr now but here are a few

137 by Izzybeads, on Flickr
045 by Izzybeads, on Flickr

all the lights work and are wired in, click on the picture for some more  ;D

OH yeah, all the dust is real  ::)

Jolene

• Administrator
  • Jo x
    • Kitzbitz Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 04:43:48 PM »
Thanks Laney, lots of inspiration there, love the penguins in the play room. Congrats to your girly a great result that x

Ruthie

• A & R Jewellery
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 05:22:11 PM »
Looks like a repo - someone even removed the door frames!  ::)

Enjoy yourself x

Jolene

• Administrator
  • Jo x
    • Kitzbitz Art Glass
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 07:42:01 PM »
It does look a bit ravaged doesn't it Ruth. Just ordered some paper, yellow brick, red roof tiles, green fleur-de-lis for the kitchen and I'm really looking forward to breaking out the fimo and making miniature food ;D

jille

• I love my work
    • Kiln Fired Art shop
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 07:48:23 PM »
You are going to have a lot of fun Jo

Black Heart Beads

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 09:21:50 PM »
I have one I built from a Dolls House Emporium kit, Eloise has 5 including one that was made by my Gran and has been handed down, and even Luke has one. Unfortunately they are all in the attic gathering dust so no pics.

One tip, if the floors are wood give them a good clean and use a sharp hard pencil and ruler to mark out floor boards not forgetting to add dots for the nails. A quick coat of varnish and they will look great.

Black Heart Beads

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 09:38:58 PM »
Oh I just remembered at work in one of the boxes of stuff I haven't go around to sorting properly I have a load of dolls house bits. No furniture but loads of external doors and windows, several styles all plastic similar to this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DOLLS-HOUSE-GEORGIAN-DOOR-WHITE-GREEN-PLASTIC-1-16-SCALE-/200800096163?pt=UK_Dolls_House_Miniatures&hash=item2ec09e4fa3
I think I have them in 1/12 and 1/16 scale. If you want some your welcome to have them just let me know the size and how many single or double windows.

Jolene

• Administrator
  • Jo x
    • Kitzbitz Art Glass
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 10:11:10 PM »
Awww Sam, thank you, that is so kind of you. Yes please, will trade you for glass xx I'm having trouble working out what scale the house is at the moment, the ground floor is a little over 6 inches from floor to ceiling but I have not been able to find a tape measure to get any proper measurements. great tip abut the floors, at the moment there is some sort of wood effect lino/tile down which I have not lifted yet. The top two rooms are going to have carpet down so I'll have an experiment with marking floorboards before I put that in.