Author Topic: Further adventures in furniture restoration...  (Read 3210 times)

nemeton

• Hi, I'm Lynn and I'm a beadaholic
    • Lynn Davy Beadwork
Further adventures in furniture restoration...
« on: September 07, 2013, 06:09:21 PM »
...Professional furniture restorers, please look away now  ;D

This is the big mad idea that has taken up most of my 'making' time this week and is the reason I've been asking for advice about varnish! I inherited this coffee table a couple of years ago, it's possibly '30s or maybe '50s but at any rate it's older than me. I used to climb on it to get to my favourite windowsill at my gran's house so I could perch up there and read a book or watch the cows in the farmyard next door. But I digress. The poor thing's had a hard life....

Things have been spilled on it, and since I acquired it it's spent a year in a very damp garage followed by a year in a very spidery and dusty garden shed. It's still sound in all its joints though, and since OH has been muttering lately that we needed another coffee table, I thought I'd better rescue my one before he went out and bought another one, which would mean we didn't need my one and it would be consigned to the dump or a carboot  :'(
I thought about sanding. Then I looked at the cracking veneer and the awkward shape - it's got a lot of 'insides' - and thought again  :-\ And thought of my drawerful of 'condemned' books earmarked for crafting  ;D
So before I had time to bottle out, I took a BIG bottle of PVA and a selection of vintage book pages, went out in the sunshine and started pasting.

The inside of the bottom shelf was the worst bit, so I did that first. Knackered my back and took all afternoon and about six times as much paper as I thought it would...

The next day there were all the insides of the cubby-holes to do...

But by this time I could see how it was going to look, and I wanted to finish it, so I kept sticking. And trying not to read the pages  ;D

The outside was easy peasy, relatively speaking. And I had some nice big pages from a disintegrating and out-of-date atlas, so I picked ones that had plenty of green in them to go with the colours of the room where the table will ultimately live: appropriately enough, the one with all the bookshelves in  :)

The atlas came in handy for papering the top as well - it's got our current local 'patch' on a double-page spread, and round the edges are bits of places we've lived before, or where we've had memorable holidays  ;D

I'm looking forward to getting it all properly varnished or glazed or whatever, so I can move it into the 'library' and start using it again.

Then I'm looking forward to starting a beading project, or at any rate something that involves NOT having glue in my hair for the next week!

jille

• I love my work
    • Kiln Fired Art shop
Re: Further adventures in furniture restoration...
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 06:14:24 PM »
Really good job there. I did some decopage drawers a few years back and i loved them

Jolene

• Colour, it's like flavour for your eyeballs
  • Administrator
  • Jo x
    • Kitzbitz Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 06:14:28 PM »
It's so lovely Lynn, especially so because you have plastered special places all over it

Quartz

• Smitten Kitten
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 07:18:01 PM »
Are you gonna climb on it just like the good old days? ;D
*Nicola*

TwitterRavelryPinterestWebpageBlogFacebook

Izzybeads

• Smile and the world smiles with you :)
    • Izzybeads
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 07:39:07 PM »
Ooo fab, I have that exact table I love it, mines all spoiled with coffee and tea stains etc., but its a great shape I have been thinking about painting mine and doing a narrowboat design on it for years, might take the plunge now I have seen yours  ;D

awrylemming

• So many crafts, too little time
    • Flaming 'Eck
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 08:22:55 PM »
It's gorgeous Lynn - a glass top would definitely look good on it though, and might add a little something extra as well as giving you some peace of mind over spills.  Hate to think of cost however ...  :-\

jille

• I love my work
    • Kiln Fired Art shop
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 09:42:56 PM »
Do you know anyone with a flatlap grinder? You could cut it yourself and it might work grinding the edge through various discs

nemeton

• Hi, I'm Lynn and I'm a beadaholic
    • Lynn Davy Beadwork
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 09:52:46 PM »
Nic, I don't have high windowsills any more, but the table is still strong enough to climb on if I need to  ;D
Laney, do you know how old yours is/where it came from? I've never come across another one before! And I'm looking forward to seeing what yours looks like after the makeover that you ARE now going to give it  :P
Sue and Jille, I don't even know what a flatlap grinder is... and the idea of cutting a piece of glass that size terrifies me  :o so I think I'll stick to varnish and paper, I feel (relatively) safe with those!

Izzybeads

• Smile and the world smiles with you :)
    • Izzybeads
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 07:49:51 AM »
You could ask a nice local window/frame place to cut a piece of float glass for you, the float glass itself shouldn't be too expensive.

Got no idea how old mine is other than old.  It was 'borrowed' from a friend, who is Dutch, they were living next door to me at a farm locally (long story but a good one!) and they 'borrowed' it off another friend who was extremely well to do (hoity toity) and came from a very big 'family home'.  It was a table that was in one of the back rooms so wouldn't be missed but had been in the family for years apparently.  I love it I do and was lucky to be told to keep it, its the shape that is so wonderful, mine is oak I know that much and slightly different to yours in that mine has open shelves not cubby holes and I noticed this morning that your top fits flush with the side panels whereas mine is inlaid, but the shape and overall appearance is the same.  I figured it was old but have never really guessed at the age, might go and do some googling.....

GaysieMay

• http://www.etsy.com/shop/gaysiemay
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 09:49:11 PM »
That is lovely Lynn  :)