Author Topic: Curing Clay  (Read 1359 times)

nuttybeader

Curing Clay
« on: September 06, 2013, 10:34:05 PM »
I have started dabbling in polymer clay.  I need to make a bead so need to learn how to do it.  Husband is adamant that I use the kiln for curing the beads on the premise that it has a computer controlled thermostat.  I mentioned fumes which he now says I cannot use the oven.  It is an SC3 kiln is there a reason I cannot use the kiln to do this?  Not into clay enough yet to get a mini oven.  HELP!!!

FionaS

• WINIBI
Re: Curing Clay
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 11:13:38 PM »
Don't use your kiln as despite the temperature controller it will probably heat up too fast and spike which will burn your clay which will cause fumes. The oven is fine. I don't bother but some people tent their work with foil and then remove the foil outside so that any potential fumes are removed in the fresh air. An oven thermometer is good to have to get an accurate temperature.

Remember this is more often than not advertised as a kids craft with the oven being fine to use. The only time I've had fumes is when I had the oven too high and cremated the pieces.

Aldi were selling a mini oven for ?20 a few days ago. Don't know if they'll still have it.

Kayleigh

• Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    • Cyndra Arts
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 09:12:41 AM »
What Fiona said :D As long as it's on the right temperature and in the middle of the oven (so not too near to the element/flame) the clay shouldn't burn or release fumes.

polutechnos

• Beady Eyed Bunny
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 02:49:11 PM »
Yep, so long as it doesn't burn, you should be fine. I've used a mini-oven for 3 years for my clay, and a conventional home oven before that, and I'm still alive.   ;D

*THUD*

awrylemming

• So many crafts, too little time
    • Flaming 'Eck
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 02:54:26 PM »
Lmao - loon  ;D