Author Topic: What does a Polarizing Filter Do?  (Read 1657 times)

Dawn

• Administrator
What does a Polarizing Filter Do?
« on: June 10, 2013, 11:17:55 PM »
I posted recently about polarising filters that you can get for SLRs (and possibly other cameras) - if you have a dSLR (not sure about film SLR) you need to look for circular polarizing (and no, it's not talking about the shape of the lens, apparently this type means it will still work with the auto-focus) - you will see a difference in price.

So, someone asked what one was; last week I was taking a few images, and I remembered I'd taken two of the same image in the same light one after the other - one with polarizing 'turned up' (less reflection) and one with it turned down (standard reflections)

Sometimes I find that reducing the glare/reflection makes an object look flat, or you can't tell it's super shiny glass, and in the case of the two images below, I am not sure it's *that* much better - sometimes it makes a tremendous difference much more so than this - but I did nothing but turn the polarising lens and you can see the difference in the reflection, especially along the back edge.  It does slightly affect the exposure too, as when turned to maximum polarising, it does reduce the amount of light getting in.

Anyways, I just wanted to show you it's potential.  Next time I am photographing, I will try and remember to do the same again, as honestly, sometimes the effect is amazing.

MAXIMUM POLARISING - REDUCTION OF GLARE/REFLECTION

Polarizing filter B by Dawn Turner Designs, on Flickr

MINIMUM POLARISING

Polarizing filter A by Dawn Turner Designs, on Flickr

Dawn

• Administrator
Re: What does a Polarizing Filter Do?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 11:21:03 PM »
By the way, no light tent, and no lights - I was doing this on a cloudy day and the studio has a series of skylights (which usually appear as reflections in everything I photograph) - tripod, slower shutter speeds and remote switch.

jille

• I love my work
    • Kiln Fired Art shop
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 06:59:55 AM »
Thanks for showing us the difference, I'm hoping it works for me

awrylemming

• So many crafts, too little time
    • Flaming 'Eck
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 07:07:15 AM »
Oh how I wish my poor little camera could do this.  One day I will get a better one  :)

jille

• I love my work
    • Kiln Fired Art shop
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 08:05:54 AM »
My Lumix lens cost ?28, so not bad and certainly worth it if it works. I don't think it's an SLR camera but it's a good one for the money, it was a lot more but it's now reduced as there are newer models on the market, i didn't mind that if it saved pennies.

jille

• I love my work
    • Kiln Fired Art shop
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 09:02:50 AM »
 I've been having a play with the lens, so some before and after shots. It's a dull day so I'd imagine it will make a big difference when it's sunny

lens test 160 by kilnfiredart, on Flickr
without lens

lens test 161 by kilnfiredart, on Flickr
with lens

lens test 165 by kilnfiredart, on Flickr
without lens

lens test 164 by kilnfiredart, on Flickr
with lens

Purple Cobwebs

• Glass melting vegan headbanging biker!
    • Purple Cobwebs
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 12:54:02 PM »
That is useful Dawn. I'm a gadget freak, so I have lots of filters, including a circular polarizing filter, but have only ever used it for scenery shots to affect the sky.
I will now experiment with glassy shots with it!
Creating to raise money for Dr Hadwen Trust and Viva!
www.purplecobwebs.co.uk
http://www.purplecobwebs.blogspot.co.uk/