Author Topic: Using negatives  (Read 2460 times)

awrylemming

• So many crafts, too little time
    • Flaming 'Eck
Using negatives
« on: May 30, 2013, 06:38:18 AM »
Found this on Stumble, for those of you that still use film http://www.upcraft.it/archives/989  I may have to rake out my very elderly camera for this!

jille

• I love my work
    • Kiln Fired Art shop
Re: Using negatives
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 07:53:25 AM »
clever. I want to do that feathered scarf that's in the Etsy newsletter

Cornish

• Magic happens
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 08:09:38 AM »
That's really clever.

Dawn

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 09:44:10 AM »
That looks pretty cool!

Similar (but probably less nasty chemicals) to when I did a day course doing cyanotype printing - paint a chemical on, expose to sunlight, wash it off, image is there.  Works beautifully on heavy weight water colour paper, but also great on fabric.  Chemicals are a bit nasty though, not for your average school project...

We did it by creating 'negatives' from ink jet transparency paper, print high contrast and used those in the same way is the negative roll.

You can buy "sun-print paper" in craft shops if you want to have a go at the safer version of cyanotype at home.  Must dig out my images....

Thanks for sharing Sue, I am currently playing with photograms which is a similar process in that it's 'contact' printing.

awrylemming

• Flaming 'Eck
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 09:55:12 AM »
It does look like fun, although with kids, especially the autistic oh what if I touch that with a finger kind of lad, not sure if I'd get the opportunity to do it!  And I'd also worry about the local cats if I put it outside in the sun, cats can be a bit 'fick' when it comes to sniffing new things  ::)   Still, I'd love a go at something like this!

Dawn

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 10:20:25 AM »
It does look like fun, although with kids, especially the autistic oh what if I touch that with a finger kind of lad, not sure if I'd get the opportunity to do it!  And I'd also worry about the local cats if I put it outside in the sun, cats can be a bit 'fick' when it comes to sniffing new things  ::)   Still, I'd love a go at something like this!

Try the sun paper Sue, great with things like ferns, feathers or solid objects.  No chemicals involved.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Grasshopper-Toys-Ltd-Print-Paper/dp/B00650PR66/ref=pd_sim_k_h_b_cs_1

awrylemming

• Flaming 'Eck
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 10:22:30 AM »
Thanks Dawn  :-*  Ordered and being waited for  ;D

Dawn

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 10:26:57 AM »
Have fun Sue and don't forget to show us the results   ;)

I bought a pack of sun-print ages ago, no idea where it is.... and I still think I have some coated paper from the workshop I did, must find it.  If I managed to keep it dark, it will still be useable  ;D ;D

Silver70

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 03:40:21 PM »
That's so cool

Izzybeads

• Smile and the world smiles with you :)
    • Izzybeads
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 10:30:10 PM »
We had some of that sun paper, wonder what I did with it, might have given it to the feral niece  ::)