Author Topic: Baking polymer clay  (Read 2014 times)

Edi (Edith)

Baking polymer clay
« on: May 08, 2013, 10:12:35 PM »
Hi everyone I really would like to try some polymer clay but how do you bake it can anyone advise me on what oven to use.
Edi

awrylemming

• So many crafts, too little time
    • Flaming 'Eck
Re: Baking polymer clay
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 10:59:13 PM »
As far as I know, you can use any oven - we just use our electric fan oven, but keep a tray specifically for our claying.  I know the real experts use summat specific tho', they'll tell you before long  ;)

Terri

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 07:46:54 AM »

You can get a dinky little table top oven from Argos and camping shops if you don't want to use your own oven.  There are some that say that the fumes or something from the polymers can damage your oven - don't know if this is true or not.  I read somewhere that you could use a lidded container in your oven as well.  Only done a few bits and pieces with polymer and so far it's gone in my domestic oven.

FionaS

• WINIBI
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 07:49:08 AM »
Like Sue says you can use your normal oven. I initially started out with that. I now have a small toaster oven that I use. Halogen ovens have become very popular over the last year too.

Kayleigh

• Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    • Cyndra Arts
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 08:47:37 AM »
Yep, start out in your normal oven :) If you end up doing lots, you can always get a small table top oven, but a few bits done in your normal oven is fine :)

All the destructions are on the packet of clay for temperature and time and varies between brands, but it's normally around 110-130 degrees for about half an hour.

Edi (Edith)

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 04:25:25 PM »
Thank you everyone. I will use my normal oven although I also have an halogen oven as well. I want to let my 9 year old granddaughter try to make something she is always 'helping me with everything I do except of course the lampwork she knows to stay away from me when I have the flame thrower going. She has made bracelets rings handbag dangles and loves it.
Potential crafter here oh and we started knitting last weekend.
Edi

awrylemming

• Flaming 'Eck
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 06:24:45 PM »
Give shrink plastic a try to, it has huge potential and is great for that age group.  ;)

Kayleigh

• Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    • Cyndra Arts
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 08:12:36 PM »
Shrink plastic is COOOOOOL! I want some so bad!

awrylemming

• Flaming 'Eck
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 07:21:55 PM »
Awww, you got none sweetie?  You can get a massive pack on Amazon for ?8, fifty sheets of it!