Author Topic: Any big no no's such as certain metals for jewellery findings/components?  (Read 1706 times)

FionaS

• WINIBI
I want to start making jewellery again and wondered if there is anything that really doesn't sell.

When I made it before I couldn't sell earrings with anything other than sterling silver or gold filled/vermeil earwires.  Is this still the case?  Are copper, brass, bronze, niobium, silver plate earwires popular?  Any big don't bother using that (gold plate for example - got loads of them unused from last time).

Also are there any materials that put people off buying a piece even if the piece is lovely.  For example a pretty pendant strung on silk ribbon or suede thong instead of a silver chain.

I think I might be over thinking things again and should just get on and try out whatever takes my fancy but I need to buy some components and can't afford to buy stuff that won't sell.

Any opinions welcome.  :)

awrylemming

• So many crafts, too little time
    • Flaming 'Eck
Have a look at Top Shop, they seem to be a pretty good way of telling what is likely to sell atm - and probably Accessorize too.

Lynniebeads

Great idea sue  :) I quite often look at fat face or white stuff for ideas and make up bits for myself  :)
Lynne x

Blue Box Studio

• Sue Harris
    • Blue Box Studio
Depends on your market - I can't sell anything plated at craft fairs.  Seems people are used to seeing import silver for pennies and want mine to be less, but of the things I made that were plated, not a thing has sold.  Someone even thought that the sea glass bottle stopper ought to be sterling too, but I put that down to she'd probably been out in the sun too long!
Sue ~ Blue Box Studio ~ see website for outlets
Website ~ Blog ~ Etsy ~ Flickr

FionaS

• WINIBI
I'll be selling in a couple of shops and online.  I rarely do craft fairs anymore as I never seem to do very well at them.

Top shop and Accessorize seem to use the cheaper metals.

I think I'll just have to try a little of what I like the look of and see what sells.

jille

• I love my work
    • Kiln Fired Art shop
I ind everything sells,but some things are slower than others. I think the more ranges you have then you can please more people.

FionaS

• WINIBI
I think you're right Jill. It just means I'm tempted to get more things.  ::)

jille

• I love my work
    • Kiln Fired Art shop
I think you're right Jill. It just means I'm tempted to get more things.  ::)
So true, I've had a few sales this wek but the money has gone on supplies.