Author Topic: frozen seeds  (Read 1353 times)

Jolene

• Colour, it's like flavour for your eyeballs
  • Administrator
  • Jo x
    • Kitzbitz Art Glass
frozen seeds
« on: March 12, 2013, 04:38:32 PM »
Hi ya, I planted some broccoli, toms and kohl rabi seeds in compost last week and put them out in a walk in green house in the garden. It was looking ok til the weather turned and so I brought everything in last night but the compost in the pots was already frozen solid. Does anyone know if the seeds are all ruined or will they still germinate? Should I start over?

♥♥Tan♥♥

• Gay for Jammie, one step from leg dry hump!
Re: frozen seeds
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 04:44:46 PM »
Most seeds overwinter pretty well, if you think about it, in nature the plant flowers, seeds, the seeds fall to the ground and are buried until germination, during this time they go through all sorts of weather changes.

As long as your seeds were still seeds and hadn't started germinating you should be fine, if they had started to sprout they will be damaged.

Jolene

• Administrator
  • Jo x
    • Kitzbitz Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 05:06:32 PM »
Thanks Tan, the quickest of these said on the pack that they would take 12 to 20 days to germinate so fingers crossed then :D

♥♥Tan♥♥

• Gay for Jammie, one step from leg dry hump!
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 05:30:13 PM »
You should be fine and bear in mind it has been pretty cold so they will be out the outer estimate of germination

Jolene

• Administrator
  • Jo x
    • Kitzbitz Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 06:04:33 PM »
Thanks hon, I thought I'd completely fluffed up my first bit of planting for the allotment  ::)