Author Topic: Excited :-D  (Read 5694 times)

Kalorlo

• Heather Kelly Glass
    • Heather Kelly Glass
Re: Excited :-D
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2013, 10:17:21 PM »
I read your blog post: oh, you're going to have such fun! (And muddy fingers, and sore knees  ;D)

Mum's always had an allotment and we used to help when we were little. Or go off and make mudpies or chop at the umbrella plants in the overgrown areas with canes... The smell of having to go and do the watering on summer evenings was lovely. You'll get a longer growing season down here than they do in Edinburgh, I bet!

Jolene

• Colour, it's like flavour for your eyeballs
  • Administrator
  • Jo x
    • Kitzbitz Art Glass
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2013, 10:22:41 PM »
Oh I do hope my littles have as much fun there as you did when you were little Heather ;D I have not got my own key yet as one needs to be cut for me, am itching to get back there tomorrow for a little bit but the site manager won't be available to let me in  :(

Tinker

• Making glass my bitch, one day at a time
    • Beads By Kat
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2013, 09:54:07 AM »
:D
You could take a wee stove with you in the summer and cook alfresco straight from the plot :) that'll get the kids smiling,

Petal

« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2013, 10:08:51 AM »
Last year was a very frustrating year - huge slugs ate just about everything we planted.  You're going to love having an allotment! :)

OK, you probably already know this, but the best time to get your slug pellets down is now.  The slugs, which were a real pain in the arse for everyone last year will have laid loads of eggs and they hatch now, so if you get your slug pellets down now, it should zap most of them.  We've got the blue ones and they work well, but don't put too many down, like I did last year, as it doesn't work so well, (I don't know why), but just sprinkle a few over everything you don't want them to munch.  You can also send off for some nematode worms that are sent in the post.  They last for six weeks and they really work.  Shall we have a 'Grow Your Own' section for hints, tips and piccies?
Jules x

It is better to be thought of as a fool in silence, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Jolene

• Colour, it's like flavour for your eyeballs
  • Administrator
  • Jo x
    • Kitzbitz Art Glass
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2013, 10:31:14 AM »
I found a good blog post all about slugs yesterday let me go soo if I can find it again.....

http://www.permaculture.co.uk/articles/20-ways-control-slugs-permaculture-garden-or-allotment

A grow your own section would be nice, will have a muse about where best to put one....

Cornish

• Magic happens
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2013, 10:43:12 AM »
I had to tell my lot off for putting down the slug pellets, they forgot we let the ducks out.  ::)

Izzybeads

• Smile and the world smiles with you :)
    • Izzybeads
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2013, 12:20:32 PM »
I love my veggie plot!  Last year it languished as the weather was so pants it destroyed all hope.  I never use chemicals, and always plant more than I think I might need so I can share with the wildlife, my grandfather always used to say the odd maggot in the peas was protein  ;D  You can't beat cutting a bit of lettuce, pulling a few radish and having home grown onion and garlic in the salad during the summer.

My top tip is white fly.  Usually found on cabbages, but can be very destructive.  Fill an old squishy bottle of washing up liquid with water, a little bit of washing up liquid and squirt the plants, the white fly don't like it, keeping a few chooks helps keep the slugs and bugs down, and NEVER water during the day, always early morning or late evening the sun will burn your plants if they are wet.

As for shit, I just love it when I get offered horsey and cow shit, its like Christmas seeing the boy person pushing a nice full, stinky wheelbarrow down the lane with a steaming pile of fresh shit....loverly  ;D ;D  and that chook poop?  perfect stuff for roses and veggies  ;D

Quartz

• Smitten Kitten
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2013, 05:14:01 PM »
Awww this sounds amazing!
Or garden is so freakin small that Joe and I would love an allotment. They do have such things here in Germany. I hope to see lots of pictures. x
*Nicola*

TwitterRavelryPinterestWebpageBlogFacebook

awrylemming

• So many crafts, too little time
    • Flaming 'Eck
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2013, 05:40:11 PM »
The same treatment (water and washing up liquid) also prevents courgettes from getting mould blight, which decimates the plant, fruit and all, within a day or two.  Don't ask me how I know  ::)