Author Topic: Excited :-D  (Read 5336 times)

Dawn

• Administrator
Re: Excited :-D
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2013, 10:37:44 PM »
An old school friend of mine, Sarah-Jane (the one I stay with at the IFG) writes a regular blog about gardening and allotments

Her and hubby Benn are well into the whole 'good life' thing, with chickens, a wormery, as well as composting bins, all things organic.  Bakes her own bread, makes her own chutneys, etc, etc - a fab cook actually - when we stayed with her last year, they hosted an "earth oven building" weekend.  They now have their own earth oven in the garden, and I believe she cooked Christmas Day dinner in it!

Anyway, here's her blog:

http://greedygardener.co.uk/

I've got a decent garden, but not enough time to get into growing much of mine own stuff - my back doesn't like the garden anymore, so I don't do much, although I chuck potatoes that have started growing their eyes into buckets, and always have loads of tomato plants lined up against the back window (back of my house gets sun from about 10.30 until sunset in summer, the tommies last through until October sometimes).

Have fun Jo, you and the kids will love it.

Jolene

• Colour, it's like flavour for your eyeballs
  • Administrator
  • Jo x
    • Kitzbitz Art Glass
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2013, 11:05:47 PM »
You have so much faith in me Sue  :P ;D

Thanks for the linky Dawn, reading about the lottery grant made me smile ;D Fabulous photography, lovely looking recipes, brill blog.

I have read loads of brilliant blog posts with really great advice this afternoon and actually feel like I have some idea where to start with the plot clearing and with what I want to plant.

Dawn

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2013, 11:26:55 PM »
, reading about the lottery grant made me smile ;D Fabulous photography,

Haha, and I forgot to actually write that in my post on here, which was why I mentioned Sarah's blog in the first place  ;D ;D

Blue Box Studio

• Sue Harris
    • Blue Box Studio
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2013, 11:39:43 PM »
Sounds hard work but great fun!  Dad didn't have an allotment, he was a rose breeder and had 1/3 acre garden instead and grew roses from bud for resale over most of it but we lived near the New Forest so Mum used to have to drive Dad there regularly, he didn't drive, so we could scoop up horsh and leafmold for his roses.  I'm not really into gardening, I just point and Al does, but we usually manage potatoes.  I think being taught at the age of 5 to cut crosses into rose rootstock to bud in roses and then bass in the buds was enough to put me off; I am the family failure.  It was back breaking work, even at a kid's height and there were 1000s of the things.  Then the horsh had to be shovelled around and as the youngest I got the job :(
Sue ~ Blue Box Studio ~ see website for outlets
Website ~ Blog ~ Etsy ~ Flickr

Cornish

• Magic happens
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2013, 12:06:27 AM »
I can give you a link to some old fashioned seeds aka the real seed company.
http://www.realseeds.co.uk/
Their Cherokee ( trail of trears) beans are a good all rounder and great for saving the seed.

he was a rose breeder and had 1/3 acre garden instead and grew roses from bud for resale over most of it but we lived near the New Forest

Sue you sounds like you were my end Dorset, I was born and brought up in Bournemouth, well Iford.

Tinker

• Making glass my bitch, one day at a time
    • Beads By Kat
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2013, 07:55:38 AM »
I love that neck of the woods - dh is a Winchester boy and we got married in the New Forest :) Brockenhurst.
You can also redeem ?5 of tesco vouchers into ?15 Thompson and Morgan vouchers

Petal

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2013, 08:56:46 AM »
Do you have a Range near you, its similar to B&Q but they very often do packs of seeds for buy 2 get the 3rd free and we get a lot of our veg and sweet pea seeds from them.  We also use Chiltern Seeds.  They provide really useful descriptions of what works for different situations and food ideas.  Its worth getting just for the veggie catalogue, which is full of really humorous illustrations that always bring a smile.  http://www.chilternseeds.co.uk/

Oh, I've got a veg book from 2012 if you'd like it, I'll happily post it to you if you want to PM me your addy. 

xx
Jules x

It is better to be thought of as a fool in silence, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Jolene

• Administrator
  • Jo x
    • Kitzbitz Art Glass
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2013, 02:32:04 PM »
Thank you for all the info and links ladies ;D PMing you Petal. There was a really interesting development today but dinner is nearly ready so will tell all later xx

Ness

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2013, 09:02:21 PM »
Do you have a Lidl near you, Jo?  Their seeds are very good value. :)

We need to get cracking on our allotment again, it's covered in weeds!  Last year was a very frustrating year - huge slugs ate just about everything we planted.  Our only successes were the spuds, peas, shallots and parsnips.  Jasper was gutted that every pumpkin plant we had got eaten.  I was more gutted that we didn't have our usual glut of courgettes and squash.  Usually we practically live on them in the summer!

You're going to love having an allotment! :)

Jolene

• Administrator
  • Jo x
    • Kitzbitz Art Glass
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2013, 09:30:04 PM »
There is one within driving distance Ness, thanks for the tip x I've just used Kat's top tip and traded in some tesco vouchers so they'll buy the herbs I'd like for complimentary planting and lots of flowers for Roo too ;D