Author Topic: Excited :-D  (Read 5625 times)

jille

• I love my work
    • Kiln Fired Art shop
Re: Excited :-D
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 07:24:29 AM »
Tan's right, one time when we moved we brought the contents of our compost bins, removal men thought we were bonkers

spexy

• Earthshine Lampwork Bead and Jewellery Design
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 07:30:49 AM »
That's great news. The chap on the allotment next to us waited 10 years for his plot! We take all our vege scraps and ash from the woodburner down to our compost heap.

Cornish

• Magic happens
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 08:45:08 AM »
How fab, I have fond memories of helping my parents on theirs when I was a kid, wasn't so keen on eating the veg though.  ;D

♥♥Tan♥♥

• Gay for Jammie, one step from leg dry hump!
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2013, 08:56:32 AM »
I have a bin of compost here I can't give away, if I put any more compost on my garden the plants will scream ;D

When you clear brambles, and I know this sounds like common sense but have two layers of long sleeves, long trousers, heavy gloves, loppers and secateurs. They really will sneak up your sleeve and rip your arms apart

Petal

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2013, 09:03:52 AM »
Tan's right, one time when we moved we brought the contents of our compost bins, removal men thought we were bonkers

We are so alike Jill - that's exactly what we'll do if we ever move from here.  One van for the stuff and another for the plants and compost bins, as we've got 3! hehe   

My father in law was a keen walker and would collect cowpats to take back to his beloved compost bin.  I don't think mum in law was so keen though, as they sat on the bus going back with the smell slowly wafting round them  ...  ;D
Jules x

It is better to be thought of as a fool in silence, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

♥♥Tan♥♥

• Gay for Jammie, one step from leg dry hump!
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2013, 09:23:06 AM »
Lol you just reminded me of a story.

Just down the road from mum and dads is a field that usually holds horses but in summer is given over to camping and caravans. Dad went down there one morning to pick up some horse manure for the roses. Some imperious chap marched out of his caravan, over to dad and said.

'Just what do you think your're doing?'

My dad replied

'Picking up horse shit what do you think I'm doing' and walked off.

I love my dad ;D

He was a farm labourer and professional gardener for the best part of 40 years as was my grandad before him, it runs in our family ;D

FaithB

• can I be in the bum-hole gang?
    • Abyjem Handmade Jewellery & Findings
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2013, 10:14:11 AM »
oh thats brilliant Jo - there's nothing like growing and eating your own produce and I know a few people who keep chickens on their allotment too -  they are great for clearing away weeds and fertilizing the ground at the end of the growing season.   ;D

Ilona

• The Beady One
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2013, 12:37:35 PM »
We loved our allotment when we had it. Ours was in a bad state when we got it, but a guy with a JCB came in and turned it over for us :) We put potatoes in for the first year to break the ground up and they were fantastic. We built a shed and had tomatoes and cucumbers in there. My dad also had 3 allotments there for the fruit that was growing on them. we gave ours up when we moved and dad only gave his up when he was frightened to go to his when some one moved into his shed :o :o :o

Jolene

• Colour, it's like flavour for your eyeballs
  • Administrator
  • Jo x
    • Kitzbitz Art Glass
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2013, 01:01:25 PM »
Well I was wrong about the brambles, they are waist high. It's going to be a big job getting it cleared in the beginning as no one has done any work on this plot for at least 2 years. Top tips about the brambles Tan and interesting about the potatoes Ilona. It's very odd to imagine someone squatting in an allotment shed, I'm not sure who I feel more sorry for, that guy or your Dad  :(

Ilona

• The Beady One
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2013, 01:12:10 PM »
Jolene, make sure you wear goggles when clearing brambles. I scratched my cornea the first time when some brambles sprung back at me. At least you will be well fit when you start the clearing, it will be money well spent, no need for gym memberships, and lots of lovely fresh  veg :) :)