Author Topic: Kumihimo  (Read 5844 times)

Ilona

• The Beady One
Kumihimo
« on: January 30, 2013, 08:24:57 PM »
Yahay, at last I have managed to get round to buying one of these kits. I wanted something that I could take with me when we go off in the camper.  I would love to hear any hints and tips you have.

FaithB

• can I be in the bum-hole gang?
    • Abyjem Handmade Jewellery & Findings
Re: Kumihimo
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 09:06:48 PM »
you'll enjoy it Ilona but you will no doubt become addicted -  the only thing I'd say is try to keep your tension consistent

Blue Box Studio

• Sue Harris
    • Blue Box Studio
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 09:34:14 PM »
No idea what the kit you have is like, I used to make and sell them before commercial kits were around.  I presume it has notches arou d the edge?  Does it have a weight underneath?  If not, get a fishing weight and slip knot that on to give you some tension on the made braid.  I recommend Jacqui Carey or Roderick Owne's books, can probably get them from the library; both accept people work with cards and not always from a marudai.

I've been talking to Sue about kumihimo and it's inspired me to get my marudai out and threaded today, something I can comfortably do as I R&R unders Drs orders.  There is a lovely little programme you can buy, Braid Runner by Rosalie Neilson in the US, I had  DOS version yonks ago, lets you see what your braid will look like when you use certain colours in certain places; there are something like 300 different braids possible from the one basic braid if you vary one position or colour each time.

Let's see your creations :)
Sue ~ Blue Box Studio ~ see website for outlets
Website ~ Blog ~ Etsy ~ Flickr

Pandanimal

• I'd be unstoppable if I could just get started
    • Pandanimal Lampwork Glass
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 09:46:41 PM »
Good for you! It certainly looks like its good fun. I had a go with my cardboard one this morning and got some very wobbly results. I think the weight will be a good idea.

Quartz

• Smitten Kitten
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 10:03:09 PM »
ive done many types of braiding over the years, but have not ventured into trying kumihimo surprisingly.

i was considering making my own disc (i have threads galore and theres lots of instructions on the internet) so i think i'd have enough to get started.

unfortunately though, its just gone on the bottom of the long list of crafts i want to try.

will get there one day!!

cant wait to see what you all make

x
*Nicola*

TwitterRavelryPinterestWebpageBlogFacebook

awrylemming

• So many crafts, too little time
    • Flaming 'Eck
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 10:14:04 PM »
If you're a lampworker, look to your tools.  If you have the short rod holder, then attach that to your braid knot, and it makes a perfect weight for keeping your tension consistent.  And it's free  ;)

Jo

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 10:31:00 PM »
They used to be called friendship bracelets Nic  ;D

Blue Box Studio

• Sue Harris
    • Blue Box Studio
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 11:34:18 PM »
Blooming 'eck, perhaps I should go back to selling kumihimo kits if that's what they sell for now :o
Sue ~ Blue Box Studio ~ see website for outlets
Website ~ Blog ~ Etsy ~ Flickr

Kalorlo

• Heather Kelly Glass
    • Heather Kelly Glass
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 10:07:45 AM »
Heh, I've been tempted to have a go eventually too. Will have to see about making myself a disc after February.

(I used to make friendship bracelets when I was at school, but the flat knotted type, not braided).