Author Topic: What Camera?  (Read 15332 times)

Jolene

• Colour, it's like flavour for your eyeballs
  • Administrator
  • Jo x
    • Kitzbitz Art Glass
What Camera?
« on: December 15, 2012, 08:55:11 AM »
My little camera has gone walkabout - it's got me thinking about what to buy to replace it if it doesn't turn up.

I know that I don't want an all singing all dancing post camera - just another compact with a compact price tag but I would like something where it was possible for me to take good clear macro photography for product shots and I want to be able to adjust the white balance.

Any suggestions?

jille

• I love my work
    • Kiln Fired Art shop
Re: What Camera?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 09:03:18 AM »
when I went to Jessops and asked similar questions a few years back they had a little discussion amongst the staff and they then all agreed that a Canon Powershot was what I needed, I've had 2 models and now they are even smaller. It takes great closeups, and even though I have a posher camera I still like going back to it 

Kayleigh

• Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    • Cyndra Arts
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 09:08:07 AM »
I have heard good things about the Canon Powershots too but they were slightly out of my budget. I couldn't make a decision and in the end my OH picked one for me. Very good choice too! It's the Samsung WB700 and I do love it. I really like the macro shots and you can adjust the white balance manually, or there are a bunch of different white balance settings which is also really handy.

Jolene

• Colour, it's like flavour for your eyeballs
  • Administrator
  • Jo x
    • Kitzbitz Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 09:22:06 AM »
TYTY x

Jo

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 09:33:23 AM »
i use the Samsung ES70 compact if thats any use Jo x

Dawn

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 09:33:32 AM »
I had a Canon Powershot and it's fab, did everything you want to, including a manual focus option, and all the WB stuff, etc.   However, it wasn't cheap, something liek ?140 and that was five or six years ago.

Last year, I bought a camera from here:

TESCO OUTLET

ORdered one day, arrive the next, got a one year warranty and it cost me ?31 - they were still selling brand new on Amazon and other places for around ?100 at the time - it looked brand new, I can't see how it had been anywhere else!

It was a Samsung ES28 - can't see any right now, but it has macro, WB adjust and a programme mode where you can alter just about anything including ISO and other stuff.  I see some of the other Samsungs have the programme mode.

It also has a few fun things like smile detection, where it won't take the photo until you smile, and face detection, which is great for when you want to take those arms length photos of yourself with a friend!

I was very pleased with it, as it filled the gap for me as a good quality but inexpensive holiday camera that would fit in a bag and I wouldn't be gutted if it was lost, stolen or dropped in the swimming pool.  Not that I get drunk by the pool or anything  ;D ;D

inkydoodlecrafts

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 09:49:01 AM »
I've been toying with the idea of a Samsung compact for Xmas and the OH researched them all and came up with a Samsung ST78, my only issue with it was the lithium battery, I prefer to be able to carry batteries around in my bag if it needs new ones. It's tiny but lovely to use and only around ?60-70

Dawn

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 09:53:17 AM »
I've been toying with the idea of a Samsung compact for Xmas and the OH researched them all and came up with a Samsung ST78, my only issue with it was the lithium battery, I prefer to be able to carry batteries around in my bag if it needs new ones. It's tiny but lovely to use and only around ?60-70

Oh yeah, Meil, that was the other thing I like about my little Samsung too - 2 x AA, and I've started buying those rechargeables that hold their charge (lots of brands do them now, claim to hold 75 to 90% charge for a year, and usually come packaged ready to  use too).

That said, a friend has a Samsung compact with a lithium battery pack it seemingly lasts forever.  The (li) battery in my big Canon dSLR does too, far better than I expected.  That said, as it's a dSLR I use the proper lens mostly, so the screen isn't on all the time, just for info and preview.

nemeton

• Hi, I'm Lynn and I'm a beadaholic
    • Lynn Davy Beadwork
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 10:10:03 AM »
I've got a Canon Powershot and absolutely love it - it wasn't cheap but it paid for itself within a week with the extra sales I got as a result of re-taking all my listing photos  ;D

inkydoodlecrafts