Author Topic: How to fix a split tube in a Puritan Bennett oxycon.  (Read 4578 times)

♥♥Tan♥♥

• Gay for Jammie, one step from leg dry hump!
How to fix a split tube in a Puritan Bennett oxycon.
« on: October 30, 2012, 03:18:07 PM »
How can you tell if a tube has split? Well, for me the pressure dropped gradually over several weeks, not hugely noticeable. Then the amber light came on but it still ran, then it just ran for a while before the red light came on so it was time to open her up and see if there was a problem.

So, turn your oxy onto it's back with its nozzle in the air and the feet towards you like this

See the wheel at the top right? No? thats because you have to pop it off to get to the screw that opens up the oxycon.

You will need a toolkit like this and a hoover to hand

To open her up you will need to look in the channel that runs across the bottom there and undo the philips head screw, if you can have someone either holding it closed or prop a chair either side because it will fall open.

Stand her back up and inside looks like this
On the left

On the right

Now, I carefully plugged her back in, let her run for a bit and just watched to see what happened, the motor and the fan on the right were fine but I could hear hissing from my left. Now, the machine hisses on the left anyway so I ran a finger over the pipes I could reach and I could feel the air pouring out of the tube, it was the one on the left shoulder of H shaped connection in the front. This is a picture of it close up with the offending pipe removed

I removed all that black foam carp that was behind it, mine was old and had started to break down and was as sticky as tar. I removed the tube by unclamping the white plastic clamp and  cutting it off as near to the top nozzle as possible and then unscrewing it at the black nut at the bottom.

You are now left with bits and bobs that you need to save and/or deal with.
First of all using your craft knife cut away GENTLY the remaining tube that is attached at the top and chuck that away. You are now left with the white clamp and the tube going into the black plastic nut. Pull the tube through the black nut so you are left with just the nut and the tube with a metal bung in the end. Save the white plastic clamp, the black nut and cut the tube off near the metal end jamby bit.

Now carefully cut the tube off the end jamby bit

Chuck the tube and save the metal bit along with the others

Now, the tube, I am sure someone will have a wonderful source for the stuff but the best I found was here
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300704735828?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

When it arrives, panic a bit then put it to one side and pretend it hasn't arrived at all. Then look feeble in the hopes that someone with years of oxycon experience will magically appear in your kitchen and do it for free. Then get angry, have a coffee, have a wee, go outside and look at the moon and then sit on the floor and blooming well do it.

So.....The first thing you need to do is take a look at the end of your tubing

It's cut at an angle so take your scissors and cut it square

Now, take tube and feed it into the black nut, you will see that it fits but the metal bung doesn't fit in the end so you need to take your craft knife and gently whittle away evenly around the outer edge of the tube. It is very soft and easy to do but take your time so you don't create thin areas. Do a bit, feed it through the nut, try the bung, if it doesn't fit do a bit more and so on. The bung must fit tightly though and create a good seal.

Done all that? Great, so, roughly measure how much tube you will need by holding it up to the area it needs to fit and cut to size. Next, feed the whittled end into the black nut until it pokes through a bit and then force the metal jamb in. It will be TIGHT.

Now screw the black nut firmly...........really REALLY firmly onto the white plastic counterpart. I didn't do this properly the first time and as I was listening for leaks it blew off in my face and it has some massive force behind it. Didn't get me but be warned.

Next take the bare end and force it onto the metal nozzle, it will take a good bit of force but if you push and jiggle left to right it goes on. I found that I had damaged my white plastic grip while taking it off so I fixed it on with cable ties

Above is a picture of how it looked before I put the cable ties on, I wasn't happy with the security of the cable clamp thing but here it is with the cable tie you can see it is much more secure

So, at this point you are done but having been so intimate with my oxycon I had a HMMM moment if you remember on the right hand side behind the control doo daas it looked like this

There seemed to be a lot of tubing and a couple of filters there that seemed a bit pointless for my needs, after a good old google I THINK they are some kind of medical filter and therefore useless to me so out came the scissors and working one at a time so I didn't get mixed up I cut out the filters and reapplied the tubing directly to the outlets, there is plenty of tubing to do this

The filters

And how it looked after

I have had it running since and all seems fine, I cleaned out as much of the black foam muck as I could and it hasn't made any difference for sound proofing. It is a filthy job so be prepared. Because I live so far away I really didn't want to have to send this away and risk it being trashed, it wasn't working anyway so if I couldn't get it to work then nothing lost right?

I couldn't find much info on this so had to go into it blind but I hope by writing this up it will help one of you guys

Jo

Re: How to fix a split tube in a Puritan Bennett oxycon.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 05:33:19 PM »
oh wow excellent tutorial Mrs  ;D just need to find  me  Puritan Bennett with a ole innit now :-*

Quartz

• Smitten Kitten
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 05:42:41 PM »
wow! get you Mrs!
Wonderful and easy to understand!
*Nicola*

TwitterRavelryPinterestWebpageBlogFacebook

Jolene

• Colour, it's like flavour for your eyeballs
  • Administrator
  • Jo x
    • Kitzbitz Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 05:59:58 PM »
You are Brilliant Tan, great pics and explanation x

Tinker

• Making glass my bitch, one day at a time
    • Beads By Kat
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 06:13:57 PM »
Tan you should write manuals for a living! Thanks for that - I'll probably do the 'lalala I'm not listening' thing if mine ever plays up, you'll just have to jump in the car and rescue me  ::)

♥♥Tan♥♥

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 06:44:24 PM »
It's a deal ;D

When it happened I had a cold 'oh no' feeling but eventually just decided to have a go, I couldn't do an awful lot of damage, the hardest bit was remembering to take pictures in between the cursing and head scratching ;D

flamingbeads

• Live for today, for tomorrow is promised to no one
    • Flaming Beads
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 11:07:23 PM »
Tan you are a wizz!!...wouldn't look forward to mine conking out....but if that happened I'd happily have a go with your instructions to hand :-*

♥♥Tan♥♥

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 04:16:14 PM »
 ;D :-*

Ness

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 08:54:10 PM »
Tan, you are a bleedin' marvel, you are!  I'd take my hat off to you, were I wearing one. 

As it is I shall raise my glass to you!

♥♥Tan♥♥

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 05:26:02 PM »
Aw Ness :-[ ;D