Author Topic: Who else is growing stuff?  (Read 5332 times)

Ness

Re: Who else is growing stuff?
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 09:18:09 AM »
lol @ Sarah!
In my internet abstinence I have been doing some stuff on our allotment.  We are lucky that our village allotments are at the end of our road, so it's not far!

We have onions, shallots, spuds, parsnips, peas, courgettes, pumpkins.  As well as established raspberries, blackberries, blackcurrants, gooseberries and a few strawberry plants too.  I forgot to get a few things planted, so no caulis or carrots this year :(

When I get back of my hols I'll plant salads.  Growing your own veg is fab. :)

inkydoodlecrafts

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 09:28:16 AM »
Our apple tree is obviously having an off year not a one on there. OH planted summat in my onion container we have no idea what it is, he can't remember lol but it's coming along nicely so that might be a nice surprise when it comes out, tho it is looking a bit like a spud so maybe not   ;)
Radish looked lush Jo I love radishes  ;D

FaithB

• can I be in the bum-hole gang?
    • Abyjem Handmade Jewellery & Findings
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 09:55:35 AM »
mostly weeds this year for me too.  Sue pplease take a photo of nextdoor kids crying at your evil pumpkin - everyone needs a laugh now and then  ;D

I am going to get half a  dozen gooseberries from my 3 year old bush this year, maybe some strawberries and a few little onions from my tree onion plant -  that will probably be it!  I really want a greenhouse at the end of the garden, we have plenty of room plus the chicken poo would be useful then! Money really is the inhibiting factor at the moment.

Great way to grow a few spuds - 5 or 7 tyres on top of one another - held in place by canes stuck into the ground inside the circle.  Fill with earth & compost and plant your tatties - layering the spud plants slightly as you get near the top.  When you come to harvest them you dont have to dig - just take the tyres off.  Great for confined spaces and it seems to keep the slugs off too.

LisaQuinn

• Lisa Quinn on Etsy
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 10:14:58 AM »
We are growing loads of stuff this year, when I say we, I mean of course the hubby and the little 'un ;D . We've just had a potato fork delivered for his Father's Day pressie, so hopefully not too many speared tatties this year!
Our strawberries are still completely white and show no signs of going red  :( but it's been soo grey and dreary here that we are not too surprised. Also growing broccoli, courgettes, pumpkins, peas, raspberries, rhubarb, onions, garlic, cucumbers, tomatoes, sweetcorn, carrots, borlotti beans, asparagus and blueberries. I'm the picker and chef and G is the chief taster, I just wish the weather would pick up a bit to get everything moving on, this is our second year with an allotment and we've staggered the planting a bit this year because last year we had everything ripen at the same time and ended up delivering veggie boxes to everyone on the street, which is great, but would rather have a continous supply throughout the season, poor old Betty across the road ended up making gallons of beetroot soup for everyone and I think she was sick of the sight if them by the time she had finished!

Cornish

• Magic happens
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 10:43:44 AM »
Lots in our garden apart from the apple, pear and plum trees we have spuds, peas, sweetcorn, tomatoes, cucumber, courgettes (end up as marrows), onions, broccoli, pumpkin, carrots, runner beans, Broad beans (yuck yuck). there is probably more but I leave it all to my son and hubby to deal with I usually just buy the plants or seeds when told to, or think we need them.  :)

Jolene

• Colour, it's like flavour for your eyeballs
  • Administrator
  • Jo x
    • Kitzbitz Art Glass
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2012, 04:21:18 PM »
You lot are ace, lots of great tips, wish I had known about the sprouty bean trick before I planted our straight out Jill ;D Faith Andy is going to save his tyres next time he has to replace any, top tip there.

I think we should keep this thread going and have a show and tell as and when our veggies ripen ;D up to and including horrific Pumpkins ;D

awrylemming

• So many crafts, too little time
    • Flaming 'Eck
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2012, 04:42:18 PM »
Shall we do one for your street too Jo?  Nowt like spreading the scare around a bit!  Best thing was, the little boy who burst out crying when he saw it backed away, stopped, then sidled up and did it all over again.  Twice!  They do love a scare at Halloween eh?  :P

Jolene

• Colour, it's like flavour for your eyeballs
  • Administrator
  • Jo x
    • Kitzbitz Art Glass
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2012, 04:44:49 PM »
Sue do you know, have I still got time to plant a Pun-kin? I asked Roo to make one with me last year but she dint wanna, bet she does this year though ;D

ETA, poor lad, sounds like he was quite enjoying the fright in a way!

♥♥Tan♥♥

• Gay for Jammie, one step from leg dry hump!
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2012, 05:05:08 PM »
I have a fish and chip shrub that isn't doing much this year, and fancied some soft fruits so planted a series of muller yoghurts but they have done nothing at all.

awrylemming

• So many crafts, too little time
    • Flaming 'Eck
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2012, 05:13:43 PM »
No idea Jo, but I'd imagine so, the squash can be planted out now.  I'll have a looksee tomorrow at the garden centre and see if it has to be already germinated or from seed.
And I'm still waiting for somebody to answer marijuana for some reason!  ::)