Author Topic: Who else is growing stuff?  (Read 5649 times)

Jolene

• Colour, it's like flavour for your eyeballs
  • Administrator
  • Jo x
    • Kitzbitz Art Glass
Who else is growing stuff?
« on: June 11, 2012, 11:31:14 PM »
we are having a go at growing stuff this year as I'd like my kids to have some idea that food comes from the ground rather than just magically from the supermarket. This is the first time I have ever grown anything from seed let alone eaten something that I've planted form scratch.......behold the giant medium biggish raddish

My first radish.... by kitzbitz art glass by Jolene, on Flickr

and my first tomato looking fairly promising even after all the wind and wild weather

My first tomato..... by kitzbitz art glass by Jolene, on Flickr

who else is growing edibles this year?

Dawn

• Administrator
Re: Who else is growing stuff?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 12:02:51 AM »
Oh yum

I haven't started anything off this year yet, as I don't really have space to grow from seedlings, but my sis in law always starts off some tomatoes for me, and I know a have a batch of plants coming soon - they usually do really well on my back, no need for shelters or greenhouses, its a south facing wall stays lovely and warm and I still get tomatoes turning in September and October.. can't wait!

I keep saying I'm going to chuck some potatoes in the old tall florists buckets I have, but I keep forgetting (I probably have enough potatoes with eyes sprouting roots to start a farm....)

That radish looks lush!

Jolene

• Colour, it's like flavour for your eyeballs
  • Administrator
  • Jo x
    • Kitzbitz Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 12:05:43 AM »
It was yummy and peppery crunchy, the kidlets had a tiny nibble each and one said yuk and the other said eurrrr with his tongue out.

Izzybeads

• Smile and the world smiles with you :)
    • Izzybeads
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 07:02:52 AM »
I usually grow most things, but this year just haven't got into it  :-\  My rhubarb is doing well in this weather though, as are the Strawbs and Raspberries, and my grape vine is strong, but still a baby, a couple of berry bushes still need the sunshine  ::) and the errant garlic is popping up in the veg beds where it choses. 

Toms never do well for me, neither do cucumbers.  Radishes I only eat if I grow them.  Last year I grew new pots, but again...this year has been so dismal.  I am thinking of growing winter veg rather than summer veg this year, some cauli's, brussels - grew those one year, masses of 'em, I love brussels.

I did watch Gardeners World last week, I love Nigel the goldie  :), and Monty was growing pumpkins in a big pot, which I quite fancy.  Pumpkins grow really well, but take over the veggie area, but a big pot is a fab idea, nothing like carving your own pumpkin, and don't forget to give it a drink of stout once in a while, old wives tale but it makes them really grow  ;D  Gourds on the other hand...complete disaster for me, and marrow I have been banned from growing this year as last year everyone was sick of stuffed marrow, marrow in spag bol, marrow in curry...marrow in the freezer to drag out and put in just about anything...grows well does marrow  ;D

singlesam

• it wasnt me the beads made me do it
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 07:22:00 AM »

three types of lettuce and spring onions

pennydog

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 07:38:27 AM »
Currently in my veggie bed are 2 year old leeks (hardy things lasted through the snow but grew really slowly), My early potatoes are nearly done and are pretty much the only thing that I grow with great success and I also have peas, red onions and cabbages but they're pretty tiny at the moment. Last year I did pumpkins, broccoli, lettuce and carrots too but they were all rubbish or full of creepy crawlies. I have some netting for my cabbages this time!

awrylemming

• So many crafts, too little time
    • Flaming 'Eck
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 07:48:59 AM »
I  have some tomatoes on the go, courtesy of our Jo, courgettes, which are doing really well, green beans and strawberries.  All things which will be eaten with relish in our house thankfully!  A pumpkin sounds a brilliant idea, can't wait to make the neighbours kids cry with this years scary one  :D

jille

• I love my work
    • Kiln Fired Art shop
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 08:02:43 AM »
I used to love gardening, and grew a lot of veg but now I don't have time, I have planted some herbs in a big tub. I loved growing rocket in tubs and cut and come again lettuce. OH bought a load of cabbage plants peas etc at a craft fair, he's put them in tubs and they are covered with fleece to keep the caterpillars off and they are doing really well. lets hope the rabbits don't get them.
Two great things to do with kids even without a garden, get them to eat a soft boiled egg, draw a face on the shell, put some damp cotton wool inside and some cress seed and watch his hair grow.
The other is to show how a seed sprouts, get a jam jar, put a circle of damp blotting paper inside, and put a broad bean between the glass and the paper and watch it develop roots and sprout, then you can plant it out.

nemeton

• Hi, I'm Lynn and I'm a beadaholic
    • Lynn Davy Beadwork
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 08:43:09 AM »
I am growing... weeds  ;D

I do have a grapevine up the side of the house, had our first grapes off it last year and they were delish, such a shame we're moving house this year before the next crop will be ready  :'(

And I have various herbs here and there around the garden, I do like to put fresh herbs in my cooking. Not organised enough to grow veg and stuff though - my neighbour does all that, and is willing to trade lettuces, beans, tomatoes and rhubarb for cake  ;D

sarah t

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 09:00:58 AM »
my historical veggies are doing really well , got a great crop of nettles and the ground elder is actually flowering this year  ::)