Author Topic: Creative Commons licence? What's all that about then?  (Read 4143 times)

Jolene

• Colour, it's like flavour for your eyeballs
  • Administrator
  • Jo x
    • Kitzbitz Art Glass
Creative Commons licence? What's all that about then?
« on: March 11, 2012, 10:39:56 PM »
A few words about Creative Commons licences for your images on flickr - this is just a very basic overview in laymans terms (for more info please visit the Creative Commons website http://creativecommons.org)

Ok, basically creative commons is all about making it easy for you and others to share your work and creativity on the net without compromising your global copyright. In our cut and paste/pin-happy globally connected by the internet times it allows people to know if they can share our images (and for us to know if we can share other peoples images) without anyone being worried about breaching copyright.

There are 6 levels within the Creative Commons licences and they let people know exactly how you wish your images to be used/treated by others. You can select on flickr to have no Creative Commons licence so that would be - None (All rights reserved) or you can select one of the following.

Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike Creative Commons
Tells others that you are happy for them to distribute/edit/build upon your work non commercially as long as they credit you for the original creation in the new work and licence any new work in the same way (NonCommercial-ShareAlike Creative Commons)

Attribution-NonCommercial Creative Commons
Tells others that you are happy for them to distribute/edit/build upon your work non commercially as long as they credit you for the original creation in the new work.

Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs Creative Commons
This tells others that they can download your works and share them with as long as they credit you, but they can't change them in any way or use them commercially. (This is what I have my flickr account set to)

Attribution Creative Commons
Tells others that you are happy for them to distribute/edit/build upon your work either commercially or non commercially as long as they credit you for the original creation

Attribution-ShareAlike Creative Commons
Tells others that you are happy for them to distribute/edit/build upon your work either commercially or non commercially as long as they credit you for the original creation and publish derivative works under the same licence Wikipedia use this licence and this is a great one for allowing educational establishments the use of your work

Attribution-NoDerivs Creative Commons
Tells others that you are happy for them to distribute
your work either commercially or non commercially as long as they credit you and don't edit your image in any way.

You can choose for individual images to have a different licence if you wish (http://creativecommons.org/choose - this page link tells you what licence suits your need best)

Note: If you select None (all rights reserved) this will not prevent others form being able to download/grab bbcode/gran HTML code. You will need to select the no share options somewhere in your flickr profile too.

Jo

Re: Creative Commons licence? What's all that about then?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 10:51:20 PM »
Wow thank you for all that info I would never have managed that on my own  :)X

Cornish

• Magic happens
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 11:05:58 PM »
I had not one idea of all the options and will be changing my mine.

Thank you

Izzybeads

• Smile and the world smiles with you :)
    • Izzybeads
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 07:14:11 AM »
Same as Vic, I will be looking into mine laters...thanks Jo x

change of plan, just done mine, set now to same as Jo's!  Thanks for that Jo I would never have got round to it otherwise x

Jolene

• Administrator
  • Jo x
    • Kitzbitz Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 07:45:02 AM »
The Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs Creative Commons licence is the most restrictive in terms of what people can do with your images and it suits me and how I feel about having pictures of my work shared. It means that if someone edits my images, fails to credit me or if someone uses my work for commercial gain then they are in breach of my copyright but other than that I am happy for my images to be shared on the net.

This licence may not suit everyone, or even every image in your flickr portfolio so I think highlighting this link again will be useful
http://creativecommons.org/choose - this link will help you work out if a Creative Commons licence is for you and if so which one.

jille

• I love my work
    • Kiln Fired Art shop
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 09:36:41 AM »
Thanks for that Jo, I have mine set at all rights reserved. I'm happy to have my pictures shared but don't want someone making a profit from my work without my permission.
I've had someone teach workshops from my paintings, they made more profit than I did, that can't be right

Jolene

• Administrator
  • Jo x
    • Kitzbitz Art Glass
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 09:56:03 AM »
No that's not right at all Jill, I'm sorry that has happened to you, just awful.

Having your images set to all rights reserved means that people do not have your permission to share your work anywhere on the web and doing so is a breach of your copyright. This is where Creative commons can help, a Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs Creative Commons licence might be a good choice as it would allow others to blog about you or similar whilst clearly saying that using your images for commercial purpose, editing or reproducing your images it not allowed.

Izzybeads

• Smile and the world smiles with you :)
    • Izzybeads
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 10:07:16 AM »
Thats why I opted for that one Jo x

Jill, thats bluddy outrageous, some people are just so low  :-X

Cornish

• Magic happens
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 11:03:37 AM »
i've opted for the same, it just seems sensible really.

Jill, thats bluddy outrageous, some people are just so low  :-X

I agree with Laney.

FaithB

• can I be in the bum-hole gang?
    • Abyjem Handmade Jewellery & Findings
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 10:19:11 PM »
thanks for the heads up Jo -  I've just done my Flickr setting.  Same as you - happy to share my images but what happened to Jill is a damn cheek!